Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I dove in and bought one. It's not the siverstein brand, but it's exactly the same thing. I got it on Amazon for $60 with the $10 coupon that was attached. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJHY736/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I must admit, it actually brought some reeds back from the dead. I have no idea why it works, but it really seems too. The review Hawk linked to above talked about comparing it Hydrogen Peroxide. I didn't get that impression at all. I've never had luck with Hydrogen Peroxide, but this defiantly made some older reeds feel fresher. Please, one of you scientific types tell me why that could be.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes, I can get one for £45.00 GBP on Amazon in the UK, as opposed to £78.00 from Silverstein. Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, I dove in and bought one. It's not the siverstein brand, but it's exactly the same thing. I got it on Amazon for $60 with the $10 coupon that was attached. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJHY736/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I must admit, it actually brought some reeds back from the dead. I have no idea why it works, but it really seems too. The review Hawk linked to above talked about comparing it Hydrogen Peroxide. I didn't get that impression at all. I've never had luck with Hydrogen Peroxide, but this defiantly made some older reeds feel fresher. Please, one of you scientific types tell me why that could be.
Dang it! Now I gotta go spend $60. I bought a Reedjuvinate and it's the cat's pajamas. Reeds play great right off the bat with no more wetting and they seem to last a long time.
I'm skeptical about a lot of new products and when I saw this one I immediately called snake oil. Maybe not!
Woody, are you getting more than one performance out of your reeds, now?

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GHawk;3938598 Woody said:
Very rarely. I wish it were more often. I use the older reeds for practice. My first impressions are pretty positive for this thing. I'm mot going to use it to store reeds, just to clean them after play.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I'll hold out for the next IoT version that will no doubt come with Bluetooth and a smartphone app that allows you to monitor your reeds 24/7.

·
3,003 Posts
Dang it! Now I gotta go spend $60. I bought a Reedjuvinate and it's the cat's pajamas. Reeds play great right off the bat with no more wetting and they seem to last a long time.
I'm skeptical about a lot of new products and when I saw this one I immediately called snake oil. Maybe not!
Woody, are you getting more than one performance out of your reeds, now?
You can make your own version of a reedjuvinate with a small snap-lock container, some sponge and the listernine for under $10......... especially helpful as you can then have a reed box that holds more than 6 reeds.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You can make your own version of a reedjuvinate with a small snap-lock container, some sponge and the listernine for under $10......... especially helpful as you can then have a reed box that holds more than 6 reeds.
I almost ordered a Pelican case to do just that. Maybe one day I will. The Reedjuvinate fits in my tenor case but I can only put 3 reeds in it. A Listerine-soaked sponge in an airtight case is a beautiful thing for reeds.

·
3,003 Posts
I almost ordered a Pelican case to do just that. Maybe one day I will. The Reedjuvinate fits in my tenor case but I can only put 3 reeds in it. A Listerine-soaked sponge in an airtight case is a beautiful thing for reeds.
Can you get pelican cases that small?!?
This system is all I use now on saxophone- all my reeds work better, they last for months and they hold any adjustments I make.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's been a week now and I'm lovin' what this thing does. I still have no idea why it's doing what it does, but I've had great luck. After every play on a reed before putting it back in the rico reed guard with the humidity packets, I put it in the reed cure and let it do it's thing. Not only to the reeds stay fresher and play more vibrant, I've noticed it's cut down on the table warpage big time. I'm used to having to reed geek the tables, but it seems to need very little or no tweaking at all. Maybe that's a lot of the love I have for it. Don't know. I could always get the table flat, but it does remove some cane, so..... The reed definitely stays way cleaner. I also looked closely and it actually says Silverstein on the unit. The amazon page says IRIVER BLANK. I feel it's worth the $60 easily.

I still haven't heard from the scientific type here. Why does this voodoo work?

Final note: No way I'd leave it in there over night. The table just isn't flat enough for long term storage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks like a really fancy version of the old Rico "Reed Guard" only now your reeds can get a tan.
Yep - This looks like a fancy pants version of the case made by D'Addario/Rico that uses those humidity packs and holds up to 8 reeds. I think they're only about 20 bucks on Amazon.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep - This looks like a fancy pants version of the case made by D'Addario/Rico that uses those humidity packs and holds up to 8 reeds. I think they're only about 20 bucks on Amazon.
It's nothing like a Rico reed guard in any aspect. So far it's really been working, not that I have 2 cents in the support of it game. Reeds stay clean and fresher playing. Much better at breaking reeds in with it then without. All I do it put it in after every time I play the reed and let it o it's think for 5 minutes. After, I put it back in the rico reedguard with the humidity pack in their old Tupperware kind of case. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Lately I have been using Boston Sax Shop reeds and am really liking them better then most that I have played or tried as of late. Don't know a lot of details on them but a few things are mentioned about them on the website

1 - 18 of 18 Posts