Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two of these new Silverstein Ligatures in the mail today to review. They are high quality string ligatures that look awesome. I've heard different people rave about string ligatures in the past so I am curious to try these.

ligatures-3.jpg

I got the hard rubber tenor and hard rubber alto sizes. I just checked their website http://silversteinligature.com/ and they are 150.00. (Yeah, I know.......) I'll test them out and let you know what I think with a review in the next few days...............

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,996 Posts
Is there a way to shorten the strings? I see the adjustment piece on the top, but I'm talking in a year when the strings have been wet and dried several times and get all stretched out...Maybe 2 years, if you don't play much. Eventually, the tightening device on top won't be enough. For $150, do you get replacement strings for life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
..... I'll test them out and let you know what I think with a review in the next few days...............
Personally I would be interested in knowing how the same ligature fits different size mouthpieces and if you can use a regular cap.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Looks like the same cording used in most neck straps. Just a guess, but I suspect it wouldn't be hard to come by even if the company goes out of business.

Not really a string lig though. That would press very evenly across the entire surface and would have nearly no "give" to it. Looks more like a corded version of a Rovner, will have a bit of give due to what it's made of, and I'm guessing it plays similarly. Not a bad thing, but that's $20 (on Amazon) vs $150.

Discounting the engineering, marketing, and other costs of bringing something like this to market and looking at this solely as a consumer, $150 does seem like a lot of bucks for what boils down to a turnbuckle, two 6 hole cord guides, and a neck strap cord.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
My clarinet teacher, a 2nd WW German POW who eventually became principal c'ist in the Vancouver, (BC), Symphony Orch. used a string lig: twine bound around the reed and mpc.
Seems a lot cheaper than 150.
Just sayin'.
S

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just don't understand why anyone would spend that much on a lig. I believe that a ligature can make a difference, but it's such a minuscule one that no ligature on earth is worth more than $80. That's just throwing money away.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Most people think in terms of "you get what you pay for," Not always true, but that's the mindset. Is Sea Salt worth more than table salt? It cost more. Is a BMW 750I worth 2.5 times the value of a Cadillac DTS? Not according to consumer reports and me. Some things really are subjective depending on you wallet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm very excited to read your review.
I prefer string over all other ligatures but rarely use it just because of the mild inconvenience..

Plus.. These look cool!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,544 Posts
A completely new meaning to the " ligature on a shoestring” concept. Why not? There are so many expensive accessories, one more or less won’t matter at all!

Of course if one spends that kind of money for any ligature there would be the temptation to hold the view that this is the “ non plus ultra “ and many will absolutely held the staunch view that THEY hear the difference ( which is a great way to void any test where the audience cannot hear the difference!) between this and any other system that simply holds the ligature against the mouthpiece, regardless the absence of any evidence that this is in any way better than a shoestring at the price of a shoestring.

In this world of general entitlement (I exist therefore I am entitled to.........) we are all entitled to cultivate our own delusions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm also inclined to think $150 is too much to spend on a ligature, but it seems that people are piling on the criticism of the Silverstein ligature without having actually tried one out. I'm guessing that a lot of folks speaking out about spending $150 on a ligature wouldn't question enormous expenditures for a Mark VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I wouldn't mind spending $150 on a lig if it were one size fits all.
It's a drag when you buy a new mouthpiece and you can't use your old ligature because it doesn't fit properly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
My string lig came out of necessity. I have a nice playing early RPC that is very hard to find a lig for.

I took a thick shoestring, wrapped it around 2 fingers about 4 times and tied it off well. I pushed it on the mouthpiece and it conformed to the steep shape of the body.

I finally found another lig that worked, but I found I liked the response I got from the string lig a lot better.

I believe ligs make a minimal difference to the sound from the listeners POV, but I do feel a difference in response as a player. Probably a lot to do with mechanical transmission of the sound.

I bet this lig will feel different. If it's worth $150 to someone, that's for them to decide. I know I've paid for certain things than the average person would pay, but half the time it made a difference I was pleased with. The other half of the time it was a unpleasant lesson.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
276 Posts
First I saw them while talking to Bob Ackerman.
He played custom made.
But to me they are too expensive.
Cheers
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!
The Martin Tenor powered by Matt Stohrer, King S20, MK VI, SX90R BN
MPC: Doublering 10, Guardala MBII Handmade, Barone SNY

·
Registered
223 Posts
I spotted these on the front page of ProWinds! I clicked the link thinking they looked kindof cool, then saw $150. Not so cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,308 Posts
Some of you pay in excess of $500 for a mouthpiece and you're grousing about a measly $150 for a cool looking ligature like this?!? :twisted:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm also inclined to think $150 is too much to spend on a ligature, but it seems that people are piling on the criticism of the Silverstein ligature without having actually tried one out. I'm guessing that a lot of folks speaking out about spending $150 on a ligature wouldn't question enormous expenditures for a Mark VI.
I don't doubt that it might be a good lig. It very well could be, but I don't think any ligature is worth that much.

See, nobody doubts that a different horn or mouthpiece will have an effect on your sound, and you can't deny that a lot of work goes into nice examples of each. But a ligature is a small, simple machine. You can very easily make your own; making your own mouthpiece or sax is more difficult. Moreover, there is debate as to whether or not a ligature can make a difference at all. So even if it does make a difference (and I do believe so), it's a very slight one. So in that respect, you can't compare the prices of mouthpieces and saxes to ligatures. Granted, there's a lot of hot air in horn and mouthpiece pitches, but I can't help but think that ligature pitches are almost completely hot air. Look at the Ishimori ligatures. Now, I've heard nothing but good things about their products, but let's be honest here: strip away all the talk about material and you just spent $200 on an inverted two-screw ligature. If it were, say, made of nickel and sold by a no-name company, it would cost you under $10. Maybe that fancy circle on it would bring the price up to $25.

That's kind of how I think about the Silverstein. It certainly looks quite pretty, but it's pretty much a few short lengths of cord and a screw for $150. I just can't see that being worth it, IMO.

Of course, I'm not gonna stop you if you want to get one. What you do with your money isn't my business, but I just don't get the appeal of ultra-high end ligatures.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts