Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
445 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. They just got a patent granted for the material they are using to make these reeds, so if they went to all that trouble I would think they must be on to something. Wwbw only sells their alto reeds so far, but you can buy tenor reeds on the Silverstein website.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just purchased a couple of Alta Classics for alto to give them a try. I typically use Legere Signature, but with my WWBW points I was able to get a couple to try for next to free. At least if I don't like them better than the Legere I won't have wasted any money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,037 Posts
I just purchased a couple of Alta Classics for alto to give them a try. I typically use Legere Signature, but with my WWBW points I was able to get a couple to try for next to free. At least if I don't like them better than the Legere I won't have wasted any money.
very interested to hear how you find them

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,037 Posts
I just went to order an Ambipoly Jazz 3.5 for alto.
USD$39 for the reed and USD$35 for the post to Australia.
Screw that......

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
445 Posts
I agree with JJ’s review 100%. I just tried both the alto and tenor jazz cut at Midwest Band Clinic. Sean from Silverstein let me try samples in order to find the best strength to match my mouthpieces. I also tried the traditional reed cut. The big take away for me was yes, these are by far the best synthetic reeds on the market. JJ hit the nail on the head; better response than cane with a slightly darker core. Even using my bright and edgy Theo Wanne Khali with a moderate baffle and #8 tip opening, the tone was a little darker than cane. I was especially impressed by the fact that the altissimo register responded exactly like a good cane reed. I love the response of a Fibracell, but the tone is too bright and I lose a perfect fourth off of my altissimo range. I didn’t have those issues with the Ambipoly. I found the strength to be true to the comparison chart on their website (in short, the jazz cut is the same strength as a Vandoren red box Java). I didn’t care for the traditional cut at all because it was too dark. I would use the jazz cut for classical playing because it is very dark with my Selmer C*. I would buy a slightly brighter cut if they made it, but having a tone that is a little darker than I prefer is much better than the opposite problem, having a tone that is too bright. I was also thoroughly impressed with this reed’s capacity to generate multiphonics and produce a great buzz when desired. I have never played a synthetic reed capable of producing multiphonics before. Whether or not it is worth the high price to me will be determined by how long it lasts. If this reed lasts me 8 to 12 months like a Fibracell typically does, I will be convinced that it’s worth the money because I would have spent almost that much on a year’s worth of cane anyway.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I might be willing to try these, even at $39 a pop. I'm not usually a fan of all things Silverstein but if they play better than and last as long as Legere Sigs (which I currently use), then I'm in.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have been playing the Alta Ambipoloy Classic, 2.5 strength reed on a Selmer Soloist C** for a couple of weeks now and I think I should have purchased either the 2.5+ or 3.0 hardness reed since I feel like I want a little more resistance. However, I have found the reed to be more responsive than the Legere Signature I had been playing as well as brighter. I loved how easy voicing both the low and upper registers was and it was definitely a step up from the Legere in that regard. If it played just a little darker I would seriously consider switching, but I bet this reed would be better for me in a jazz setup. I have a Meyer 6M that I will eventually get around to testing it on. Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also play testing a Forestone Traditional reed which is a bamboo/resin reed. I don't have any experience with the Forestone, but I have enjoyed how the reed is playing. To my ears it plays darker than the Silverstein Alta or about the same as the Legere, but has a tonal quality that I haven't been able to put my finger on. Perhaps its just the personality of how it is manufactured. Its not unpleasant, just different. Of course, as a player I find I hear things while I'm playing that I might not pick up on when I'm just listening so it maybe something about the feel that is changing my perception. I'm going to keep playing these reeds. One thing I know about Legere is that they will last. I can't say I know that about the Silverstein or the Forestone yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts