Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a Conn Bass. The owner wants it satin silver plated. Anderson's is telling me they cant plate anything longer than 34 inches??

How do baritone saxes get plated if that's the case?

The body tube alone is 38 inches on this bass.

There must be a way!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have gold and silver plated keys that are longer than my 1 liter beaker is deep. I just plate one end and then turn it upside down and plate the other end. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. Perhaps they do something similar. Music Medic might have some experience with this. You might give them a call.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have gold and silver plated keys that are longer than my 1 liter beaker is deep. I just plate one end and then turn it upside down and plate the other end. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. Perhaps they do something similar. Music Medic might have some experience with this. You might give them a call.
I have contacted them. They've never sent a bass to be plated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Also check with Kanstul in CA, they do plating for their large horns and restorations for customers as well.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
John Uttech in Wisconsin is a master at saxophone body dent work and soldering. He did the buffing and lacquering on a Mark VI tenor my apprentice was restoring. (see below) Another option might be to ship it to him to separate the parts, do the necessary dent work, have it plated at Andersons, reassemble and ship it back to you to do the rest of the mechanical overhaul. He does beautiful, detailed work. I don't know if he is set up to do bead blasting.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Are you only contacting platers who work specifically on musical instruments, or are you also contacting general-market platers?

I can't believe there is no one in the USA that can silver plate something 38" long.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
How do baritone saxes get plated if that's the case?
Parts are plated separately (body, bow+bell, top bow) and then assembled. What length is that? Even if more than 36", manufacturers (or plating companies they use) might have larger tanks, none of which are in the USA as far as I know. If I'm not mistaken Conn did their own plating but I guess that whole factory is long gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts