Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '35 silver plated Balanced Action tenor, and giving it a long overdue polish with a silver cloth yesterday (neglected it a bit on this front). My spittle seems to be the very worse kind, and has always been difficult to get off, even on my lacquered horns. However on the body side of the bell on my tenor there seems to be a bit of a build up of nastiness, dried up spit and sweat or something.

The silver cloth seems to be having an impact, but very slowly (the rest of the horn that i can get at is coming up nicely.)

Two questions:

1) I'm assuming thr silver cloth "runs out" after a while, so maybe after an intense polishing session its done its course?

2) Any other tips for getting rid of really nasty bits of tarnish/grime that are safe, or am I stuck with it?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have a '35 silver plated Balanced Action tenor, and giving it a long overdue polish with a silver cloth yesterday (neglected it a bit on this front). My spittle seems to be the very worse kind, and has always been difficult to get off, even on my lacquered horns. However on the body side of the bell on my tenor there seems to be a bit of a build up of nastiness, dried up spit and sweat or something.

The silver cloth seems to be having an impact, but very slowly (the rest of the horn that i can get at is coming up nicely.)

Two questions:

1) I'm assuming thr silver cloth "runs out" after a while, so maybe after an intense polishing session its done its course?

2) Any other tips for getting rid of really nasty bits of tarnish/grime that are safe, or am I stuck with it?
The cloths I have get better as you use them but no cloth is going to remove the pits. You probably have oxidation coming from underneath the plating. If I were you I'd go as far as I can with the cloth then just leave it be or you could end up doing worse damage. Plating is VERY thin so you could wear it off by over rubbing. Phil Barone

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, it's the original plate so really wouldn't want to do that! It's looking much better than it was in any case!

Didn't realise the cloths get better, that's interesting. Is there science as to why?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If you have a bunch of dried up hardened schmutz (that's the technical term) then you need to attack it with water and a cloth, not a polishing cloth.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Don't spit on it!
1. Keep your lips tight around the mouthpiece.
2. While playing, collect saliva in a reservoir under your tongue just behind your front teeth. During rests, swallow it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts

Two questions:

A cloth is nice for touchup, but for deep cleaning, use a spray or creme formulated for silver. I like Hagerty Silversmith products for my silver plated horns.

For total cleaning, it’s best to strip all the keys off the horn, do a deep clean, and then do a good lube job as you reassemble the horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts