Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! First post here.
I'm a long-ago alto player, who's always dreampt of playing a tenor. In deciding to get back into playing, I spent some time researching tenors. I decided on a King Zephyr, for many reasons. Chiefly, the sound and the price.
It seems as though I might have bought a bit of a rare horn, in that it's silver-plated (gold bell). It's a 216,XXX serial number (1938, I believe, not 1940, as advertized), with the three ring straphook and a double-socket neck. The silver-plate is in good shape (90%). It has just been repadded. A few small dents and scratches. I paid $1200, with a cheap plastic case.
I just ordered a New York Otto Link 7* mouthpiece and some Rico Royal #2 reeds, and here I go again! I haven't played for quite a few years, but man, I'm excited!

Any comments on this horn, or my purchase? Did I do alright on the price? I purchased from a long-in-business music store who did the repadding themselves.
I'll be back soon with more questions and I'll send some pictures next week. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Yeah!

I have the poor relative of that one--a silver Cleveland--and she rocks! You might find that Link 7* a bit of a mouthful to start though?

Congrats!

ps. let's see some pics!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
I had the exact some horn in 1963 and in 1965 I had enough money to buy a Mark VI. I played the VI the first year in college and when I went home for Christmas, I got out the old Zephyr. I liked the King so well I took it back to school and sold the VI. Enough said. I finally ended up needing money and sold the Zephyr for about $200 which I thought was great since I had paid $15 for it from US Army surplus. I am/was an idiot.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
A great deal!

Can we see some pics?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts