Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a silver or a gold laquer get me this sound on tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,692 Posts
Sure.

Hopefully, you'll find a ligature that will keep you from tonguing so heavily and bouncing so much when playing articulated eighth note figures.

Nice tone tho'...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
The lacquer, whether it be gold, silver, red, green, clear, or any other color, won't get you any kind of sound and it won't have any effect whatsoever on the sound of the horn. So, if I take your question at face value, the answer is no.

I've never seen a silver lacquer, fwiw. There are plenty of silver-plated horns, but again, lacquer and plating have no effect on the sound of the horn. Those finishes are strictly cosmetic, and to some extent serve to protect the brass underneath.

But YOU might be able to get that sort of sound if you practice and work on it.

·
Banned
492 Posts
LOL! Man did I get slammed for asking a somewhat similar question as I was considering the purchase of my silver plated Barone Vintage tenor,... which will be here tomorrow. Got pretty much the same answer. Practice defines your tone,... not the finish of your horn. Good luck Yamaha Junkie! I will say this though, getting a dark, spread and fat sound out of most Yamahas is gonna take a whole lot of practicing. At least that's what I've been told.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
You don't even need lacquer or any kind of plating. Just work on your sound and you can get there. Any horn will make that sound. It is all about you.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,584 Posts
Only a platinum horn will give you that kind of sound.
Start your search now and continue to practice until you find one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Only a platinum horn will give you that kind of sound.
Start your search now and continue to practice until you find one.
90% platinum / 10% iridium would be preferable, the iridium content will give you a slightly stronger sound than just pure platinum... Only snag is, the mouthpiece will have to be kryptonite to harness the full power !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,286 Posts
Ah....You came to the right place.

Here you will find secrets passed down from the greats...

For that particular tone, follow the instructions below:

Drop a small dead fish (or a half dozen shrimp - head on) into any alto or tenor sax made in the US or China. For other countries use two brown eggs. Fish must be dropped tail first so grasp it firmly by the head and drop carefully. Shrimp require the opposite treatment but must not be peeled first. You have to wait two to three weeks for the effect to take place and the horn must be in a warm place for it to really work. DO NOT open the case for at least ten days or this tip won't work.

That should do it.

Tune in next week for tips on saxes and electricity....

·
Registered
240 Posts
90% platinum / 10% iridium would be preferable, the iridium content will give you a slightly stronger sound than just pure platinum... Only snag is, the mouthpiece will have to be kryptonite to harness the full power !
An astatine mouthpiece works nicely too if you are having trouble finding kryptonite.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,584 Posts
Pure platinum give you that dark 'mysterious' sound that the new 'Jazzers' are looking for.
As for the mouthpiece to use on this monster horn... Pure Unobtanium. It'll take everything you can give it and then some. :)

·
Banned
593 Posts
The lacquer, whether it be gold, silver, red, green, clear, or any other color, won't get you any kind of sound and it won't have any effect whatsoever on the sound of the horn. So, if I take your question at face value, the answer is no.

I've never seen a silver lacquer, fwiw. There are plenty of silver-plated horns, but again, lacquer and plating have no effect on the sound of the horn. Those finishes are strictly cosmetic, and to some extent serve to protect the brass underneath.

But YOU might be able to get that sort of sound if you practice and work on it.
youre probably right about the finish -but- im still waiting for you to file law suits for false advertizing.

·
Banned
593 Posts
now everyone one knows the blue adept needed a platinum flute to create the phase juxtaposition. it sounds pretty expensive though

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
youre probably right about the finish -but- im still waiting for you to file law suits for false advertizing.
LOL, why would I do that? If we filed lawsuits for all the scams and false ads out there, the courts would be tied up for years and no other 'justice' would get done. No, far better to inform yourself with factual data and science (I know that's out of fashion these days), rather than relying on gut feelings, superstition, blind faith, and delusion. There will always be suckers to fall for almost anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts