Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I have solid silver resotech resos on my VI alto and tenor, and had them on my Super 20 when I had it.

I just got a SA80 Series 1 Tenor, and I have a VI soprano that both need repadded in the next year.

Anyone had experience using both the solid silver, and the brass versions of the resotech flat resos? I don't know if I should give the brass a try, or stick with the silver, which I think I like a lot... (of course, the super 20, I never played until it was overhauled, got it in non-playing condition, and the VI alto had a mix match of pads and resos, and was a mess, and the tenor was ALL orig selmer pads from a closet horn with the plastic resos (which I have the entire set and will sell if anyone is interested), and even though it played, it was rough, and I had the solid silver resos put in all these horns each time - and loved the results, but I know it probably has more to do with how good my repairman is at setting up the horn - Steve Wendelken at Pelligrino's music in North Canton, OH.

But anyway, I am wondering if the brass are louder or softer, have more of this or that or less than the silver ones? How do they last? My silver ones in the alto have lasted 7 years with minimal black spots, and they arent really tarnished... are the brass ones lacquered or not? do they rust or anything like that? anything else?

If anyone knows or has an opinion, great!

Thanks - Brad

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I haven't tried the resotechs but I will offer some advice. IMO silver or brass won't change antyhing about your sax. If your repairer is good and the sax is good then it is going to play great regardless of which resos you choose. Whether or not the brass resos are lacquered is something your repairer probably knows.

Now after saying that, if I was in your position I would probably go with the brass ones, simply because it is different than what you've tried already, since I don't think it would sound different. Other people might go with silver again because they used it and it worked great. So depends mostly on what type of person you are.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

I agree, I don't think it will make a difference, but I am willing to listen to anyone's ideas.

My repairman is amazing - he is very particular about his work, makes sure everything is correct the first time. My alto, he overhauled in 2000, and I play it ALL the time, and I have only had to have him adjust it once, and replace a few pads, palm keys or low Eb... I know he levels the tone holes, at least on my horns (I don't believe in this "they made them right the first time thing" - get the horn in perfect playing and mechanical condition, no matter what), and then sets up a great pad job, only using the best materials. Did the same thing on my tenor. Has overhauled my old clarinet (Selmer BT), and my Haynes Flute and Piccolo. He makes the horns play, and sets them up for me, will adjust anything I want the way I want it, but makes sure it will work. I can't say enough good things about his work.

If anyone wants to give him a try, call him up at Pellegrino's music in North Canton OH. - http://www.pellegrinomusic.com/

Reguardless, if anyone else has reso opinions - let me know!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: yes

Which ones did u go with? Looking to repad my VI but not sure which resotech to go with and oversized or not? I'm looking for a sound

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: yes

Which ones did u go with? Looking to repad my VI but not sure which resotech to go with and oversized or not? I'm looking for a modern sound

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
This thread is 7 years old.

Besides it won't make any significant difference. The player, mouthpiece and reed will make way more difference than any different material of the reso.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts