Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in assuming that when Conn did the silver/gold "Finish 1" during the New Wonder era, it typically included:
- gold-plated bow guard and body bands as well as keywork?
- different bell engraving, slightly more elaborate, and part gold masked?

I just received a very nice playing #155k Chu alto - advertised as original silver/gold - but much of the key plating is faded to a very clean, bright silver. This suggests brush plating over factory silver "Finish 2" - as do the body bands and bow guard, which are not and never were gold.

In addition, the bell engraving is the standard for Finish 2, with very obvious fading in a brush pattern.

Happily, the seller is giving me 3 days' return rights. I don't think he knew what he had - anything but a C melody or C soprano is rare in Finish 1.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I haven't seen one without the gold bands and engraving area. Sound odd! The only Conn I have in silver with gold keys is a C Melody and it is as you mentioned with the gold bands, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to saxpics photo galleries, the gold key horns before about 1920 didn't have gold on the bands, engraving or bow. First one I saw there with the extra gold was a tenor, #64k.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts