Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Silver plated Mark 6 from 1963, serial #98***, and want to know how much approximately it is worth? It's in good condition. I've heard that Silver sax's aren't worth as much as the regular kind - is that true?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,238 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a Silver plated Mark 6 from 1963, serial #98***, and want to know how much approximately it is worth? It's in good condition. I've heard that Silver sax's aren't worth as much as the regular kind - is that true?
Condition is everything. What's "good"? When was it last repadded?

Here's one:

http://tenormadness.com/product_detail.php?product_id=1531

and another, although older...

http://pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=3042&morepics=1

So, somewhere between $4000 and $9942.

What's the seller asking for it?

Can you play it?

Edit: Hah! I see that once again, I am assuming that any Selmer worth buying is a tenor. If it's an alto, it's worth less.

Or should I say, "If it's an alto, it worthless."? :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Dr.G! It's a tenor. I played it today and it plays very well. It hasn't had a complete overhaul in quiet a while but it's been repaired often enough that it's in good shape. The sax belongs to a school I teach at and they will sell it to me - so I have to find out how much it is worth since I want to be fair about it. I'm assuming the price would have to be a lot lower if it needed an overhaul, but I don't think that's the case in the near future. I don't know when it was last rep added unfortunately.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,167 Posts
Hopefully you'll be able to 'save' this horn from further academic service. It will be expensive and I hope the school appreciates your honesty.

·
33,238 Posts
I'd consider something 'round $4k to be fair to all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,153 Posts
I'd consider something 'round $4k to be fair to all.
I'd consider a minimum of $6K for a 5-digit horn with original finish and that is deducting plenty for it being silver for it being silver. Have the school send it to pmwoodwind on consignment and I am pretty sure that barring major damage/repairs, it will fetch $8K.

·
33,238 Posts
I'd consider a minimum of $6K for a 5-digit horn with original finish and that is deducting plenty for it being silver for it being silver. Have the school send it to pmwoodwind on consignment and I am pretty sure that barring major damage/repairs, it will fetch $8K.
I guess that's why I won't be playing another Selmer in my lifetime. I bought a closet queen 5-digit about 10 years ago for $2500 in a private deal. Yeah, sold it for far less than it'd bring today.

Thanks, Brasscane, for adding another data point to the discussion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts