Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Was hoping some of our fine SOTWers could help with identifying an old Link. It's a tenor model, 10*, and silver in color. Not like the silverish-gold look from plating or laquer wearing off; it is bright silver all over, with the 10* on the side. Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
StittsIt said:
Hi all. Was hoping some of our fine SOTWers could help with identifying an old Link. It's a tenor model, 10*, and silver in color. Not like the silverish-gold look from plating or laquer wearing off; it is bright silver all over, with the 10* on the side. Any ideas?

It could have been replated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,022 Posts
The gold plating on some florida links seems to come off quite easily over time and leaves a shiny silver appearance.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
If it's older, probably the nickel underplate. They use silver now.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to thank everyone for the speedy replies to my thread. So basically, you're saying that it's goldplate that has come off? How could it have come off so evenly? There aren't any file marks, like where someone rubbed off the plating. No flakes, not a single gold spec anywhere.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've got a silver Link STM, it was silver when I bought it new about 25 years ago. I was told at the time it was a Link reject!!! and never gold plated. Out of all the pieces I've blown over the years this is by far the best, so I'm none the wiser!!!

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
k

[/LEFTThanks for the help. I should be getting it back from Brian Powell, who looked it over, today or tomorrow. Not a single speck of gold anywhere; it's a bright and shiny piece!​

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it's worth, Brian told me that he'd heard they put out some silver ones a while back, but that he wasn't completely sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good call, Mojo. The Millenium that I've seen have the nickel silver finish with the blue bite plate. This wasn't a Millenium, nor was it marked as a 2nd as some other silver ones I've seen (good call by Babbitt on that one, silver is much less expensive to plate than up to gold, and you come out with a unique looking piece). So I'm not sure with this one, whether it was replated at some point in time in the past to silver or what?
Brian

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian, AMAZING piece. Lots of core. Good mature edge to the tone, easy projection. Talk to the back of the hall. Thanks a bunch, will definitely be sending pieces to you in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts