Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just for the helluvit:) !

1. How about 2500$ for a fully and expertly overhauled silver Conn 10M versus the same price for a brand new (but obviously discounted) nickle silver Keilwerth SX90?

It seems to me that the Keilwerth would be the obvious choice in a whole host of ways, but I'd probably go for the Conn?

Rory

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
rleitch said:
It seems to me that the Keilwerth would be the obvious choice in a whole host of ways, but I'd probably go for the Conn?

Rory
You would be smart to go with the Conn. It will hold its value and will outplay the Keilwerth. I have owned six very nice tenors over the past year and have played a number of sixes and my 10m is my choice.

So what can you list a whole host of ways of why you would go with the Keilwerth?

HUTMO

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
HUTMO said:
So what can you list a whole host of ways of why you would go with the Keilwerth?
HUTMO
Good question! Maybe none after all--except very generic stuff about the pros of buying a new horn vs one that has been around the block however many times, and maybe some entirely questionable assumptions about better intonation, technical advances, perhaps flexibility in terms of mouthpiece choices.

As far as the price goes, I was thinking ball-park 2K for the 10M plus 500$ for the overhaul. The Keilwerth price is low, but possible. Basically I just wouldn't want to pay much more for either one.

Actually, Grumps is right: make it 3500$

Rory

Anybody opt for the JK?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have both a silverplated 10M (310,xxx) and a nickle silver SX-90R (122,xxx; gold lacquered).

They are both great horns! The Conn is somewhat lighter and nothing really matches it for sound. On the other hand the Keilwerth has better ergonomics, is more mouthpiece friendly and has the best intonation of any horn I've played, bar none. Also, Keilwerths are as close as anything available today to the Conn sound. I enjoy playing both and wouldn't sell either one.

From a financial standpoint, the Conn is a better investment and the ergonomics, which aren't as bad as some would lead you to believe, can be enhanced with some modifications.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
:borg:

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts