Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new here and looking for opinions on this instrument I recently acquired.
I'll let ehe photos do the talking since I don't really understand the intracices of sax's.

I hope posting this is with-in the rules here.

Cheers
Anthony, in Winnipeg
Product Automotive lighting Green Rectangle Bumper

Hand Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Tire Furniture Automotive tire Leg Bicycle tire

Musical instrument Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Wind instrument

Pen Material property Electric blue Natural material Font

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Yep, that's a Buescher engraved for Selmer USA. Good horn. With that C* Selmer mouthpiece and some #2.5 Vandoren reeds you've got a lifetime rig there. Put a hard rubber Link on it for jazz. It's not worth much money, but it's a good player.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a great tenor! They are more valuable than the more modern bundys but still not very valuable in the market's eyes.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,766 Posts
From what you showed of it the body looks to be in good shape. It should polish up into a very pretty looking horn. I like shiny objects.😎

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it's actually an Elkhart 30A. If I recall correctly the first Bundies were based on this horn, which is derived from the Aristocrat series 1. You can find some topics on this if you search the forum.
I play one like this myself (albeit with different engraving) and it plays and sounds really well.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That horn is gonna' be HEAPS of fun :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
5,040 Posts
I think it's actually an Elkhart 30A. If I recall correctly the first Bundies were based on this horn, which is derived from the Aristocrat series 1. You can find some topics on this if you search the forum.
I play one like this myself (albeit with different engraving) and it plays and sounds really well.
There's another discussion thread on these same horns right now. Technically, it would've been the 2nd Bundy. The first were New Wonder stencils that came out of the Conn factory when George Bundy was still working for them. He later went over to Buescher. The Elkhart 30A is the nearest model to this horn, though the Selmer (USA) Signet and Padless models were pretty much the same horn. It's debated as to whether or not these were based on Aristocrats, though there are at least some similarities. Wayne Shorter used one of these throughout the early to mid 60's. I had one of these for a time, and it was the first tenor I owned. They're extremely undervalued, though the silver plate probably adds a few bucks. This doesn't stop them from being great playing horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,418 Posts
Super cool horn, especially in silver plate. To take a stab at answering the question implicit in your title: In need of an overhaul, I would guess around $1K, assuming there is no damage. You should get a modern case, as these old ones are recipes for banana bends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks tons for the comments so far.
if I guy was going to part with it, what’s the best place to list it? Here, Reverb, eBay?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
5,040 Posts
I'd post it here first. That horn has its fans. Had I not just been practically given a Buescher 156 tenor, I'd snatch it up myself.

Edit: Just noticed that you only have 2 posts. It'll be awhile before you can do that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,240 Posts
What @SuperAction80 said above. Basically a Buescher 30A, made by Buescher not Selmer USA...this is an earlier horn than a Selmer USA....but a bit more robust in build and certainly prettier than most. Call it a 'very refined 30A'.

Even in original lacq, these, in good play shape are woth $600-700. A Silverplate one is probably worth $800-900 after it's cleaned up and put into play-shape.,

As-is, assuming it doesn't play up and down...worth maybe $500. The mouthpiece alone is worth around $80.

It would actually do quite FINE selling on eBay....it is 'known' enough for most vintage-sax-trawlers there to know what it is. If you wanted to sell it quickly, put a $475(usd) buy-now and my guess is it'd be gone within four days. If you wanted to get the max out of it and could be patient, price it $750 buy-now and accept offers...see what offers come in...you may well get an enthusiastic buyer willing to fork the $750 for it, who knows ?

@bigsnihytone ...do you have a good tech up where you are ? Does it play ? You should get an assessment as to cost to clean it and make it well-playable, unless you are a non-player and just wanna liquidate it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,418 Posts
Please shoot me a PM with a link when you post for sale - thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone who might be following this. I took the sax to my nephew who plays (as well as another seasoned player) and they both said it played fine up and down the register. I have a video of my nephew playing it... tho he's an alto player. Anyway, I can share if you like. I was going to list it locally soon, but thought I'd let you know that I would take $650 US for it if anyone is interested. Cheers
[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts