Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played on a lof mouthpieces, but have never been able to get one to reproduce the sounds of a silver brillheart mouthpiece. They sound great and are extremely durable. Anyone have a suggestion for me? Maybe a saxophone mp that sounds close to a brillheart?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
First of all it spelled "Brilhart" as in Arnold Brilhart. I'll assume you are talking about a levelaire mouthpiece. They are not silver, by stainless steel. The color is like chrome. I have never heard of a LOF mouthpiece. Is that like a Loaf of bread? (i'm just kidding...)You have played on a lot of mouthpieces....great, please tell me if your talking about a tenor or an alto sax here? The Brilhart has a big wedge. that is the sound of the 70's.There are many mouthpieces made today that have the wedge. Jody jazz, SR, Runyon, Berg Larsen...basically anything metal.....I have a suggestion for you, please try out a NY style Hard rubber mouthpiece,like a Link, meyer,or a Morgan. These will give you a full,PHat, round tone, and not a tinny , ice pick tone with edge
Thanks, Please listen to Stan Getz's tone.... tell what you think......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,256 Posts
First of all it spelled "Brilhart" as in Arnold Brilhart.
Nah, it is spelled "Shrillhart". I played one in the '70s too - my apologies to anyone within hearing range.

+1 to King K's comments. Not that everyone has to sound like Getz but wouldn't it be a nicer world if they did?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice, I will have to check out the mp you suggested. I am playing a Tenor. What sax/mp do you use?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,256 Posts
Depends on what you want to do - many tenorists do use a long high baffle, others relish a rollover baffle.

What tone is in your head? Who do you enjoy listening to? There's not as much of the LevelAire sound around these days (thank goodness), as KK noted.

I enjoy Otto Link-inspired designs (medium-large chamber, rollover baffle) in both hard rubber and metal: Vandoren V16, Mouthpiece Cafe "Slant", Lamberson L, Klum FocusTone.

Start talking baffles and you'll get a whole 'nother set of recommendations.

Welcome!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
are you looking for a Level aire??? ive got one!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,085 Posts
Mine is a stainless and I think the Velvets are so rare that they really don't count as far as a LA is concerned. There is that newer metal one (Dukoff made?) and there was a plastic one for a while.

·
1,390 Posts
Just to answer your question... I just played a wedding jazz gig with a new (JJ Babbitt) reissue vintage Florida slant signature Otto Link Hard rubber tone edge 8, (.110") complete with serial number. It a modern remake of what Stan Getz played. You see, when J.J. Babbatt took over the production of the otto link mouthpiece they changed the mold, This is a remake of the vintage old floridas models. This mouthpiece is warm, fat, round, when you push it it gets bluesy. I have been using this piece now for about 2 years since they came. out, and have about 400 gigs on it..It frickin" wails!!! . I use a java 3.5 reed Green Box) and a Selmer Super Balanced Action (really called a Selmer Super Action,from 1952). This is the kind of mouthpiece that becomes you ....your sound, your concept, it fills up a room, I never need a mike, it is so sonically pure, I could play classical on it, yet for jazz, it is totally Killer, (think Gene Ammons, or Zoot sims)!!!Now the best part, it's not $400 dollars or $650 dollars, its under $150!!!! currently $149 on ww/bw. Here is the info from the web...Otto Link Vintage Series Hard Rubber Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece
Several years in the making, the Otto Link Hard Rubber Vintage mouthpiece recaptures the sound of early Otto Links. A combination of changes both inside and out; body shape, bore, chamber, baffle, side rails and tuning, recaptures the Otto Link sound of yesteryear, setting it apart from the current Otto Link. Although today's Otto Link is loved by thousands of players around the world, you may be longing to recapture the old Link sound. The Otto Link Vintage is exactly what you're looking for. Otto Link Vintage is available in the same standard tip openings as current Otto Link models. Each mouthpiece is individually serial numbered and comes with a ligature and cap.

A

·
0 Posts
"(JJ Babbitt) reissue vintage Florida slant signature Otto Link Hard rubber tone edge 8, (.110") complete with serial number"
Im shopping M/Ps as well but I want one that I can name in just one breath....

·
1,390 Posts
I still have my Morgan jazz 9M, but when I retired I had to give the Selmer Mark VI back to the USAF band. I got my Selmer SBA out of storage, and the Otto Link slant reissue fit the neck cork better than the Morgan mouthpiece. So I started using it. They are both (Rubber link 8 and Morgan jazz 9M )so similar...They are both .110", hard rubber with round chamber, roll over baffle, hollowed out side walls, NY style mouthpieces, both free blowing and loud! Perfect for blowing over a big band. "I'm giving the Morgan a much deserved rest for now...It's irreplacible now that Ralph Morgan has passed away.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi, I know this is from July of last year but my advice is if you still have the vintage Brilhart Level Air, I would just simply use that instead of trying to find a mouthpiece like it. If you don't have the mouthpiece anymore but want one like it, I would suggest going to Beechler and getting an ARB metal mouthpiece. They are designed by Arnold Ross Brilhart, are identical to the vintage Brilhart Level Air and can be very versatile. They are pretty expensive though; around $280, check the link below

http://www.interstatemusic.com/32025-ARB-Metal-Tenor-Sax-Mouthpiece-8-A828.aspx

I follow what others are saying about a Meyer or an Otto Link, they are nice mouthpieces, but you may find that the Brilhart Level Air or ARB can be just as nice and warm as a Meyer or an Otto Link. If I blow easy in the Level Air I have an Ernie Watts or even Stan Getz sound, but if I push the mouthpiece then I get more like Nelson Rangell or even Gato Barbieri.

So it all depends on what you bring to the table when it comes to mouthpieces. They're just a toolo, you're the machine and the spirit behind the tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,598 Posts
Does you mouthpiece say Level Air on it? There is also a metal Brilhart that was made before the LAs.
Level Air was never inscribed on any of them - just Brilhart, the serial number and the facing. They continued to be made by Runyon for Selmer after the buy-out. Runyon still makes the same thing under the Quantum name, and you can get it in Delrin. I played Level Airs on alto, tenor and bari for many years. The bari piece will produce astonishing low end. When they first came out we called them 'shotgun' mouthpieces because the whole thing was just a wide-open bore with no throat constriction up to the 'shelf'. 'Harshness' or 'shrillness' depends entirely on the player and is completely subjective. Personally I never heard this 'shrillness' from any player using one. The Level Air was used by many pros for a long time, like Dave Sanborn in his earlier years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts