Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We @ J and J Woodwinds have recently added an in-house tank-type silver plating system to handle polished and satin silver for everything up to and including baritone saxes! We also have a new gold brush plating system and have expanded our laquer facilities and can do clear, gold or any wild colors that is available including the cool flip-flop colors. I currently have a Conn alto sax to do in Burple (a flip-flop from electric blue to purple!). Let us know what we can do for you and what ever your amagination can come up with. Pics are being added to our web site as the horns are being done (with permission of course) under "Some of Our Projects":)

Thanks for looking,
HIS servant,

Doc Frazier
www.JandJWoodwinds.com
JandJ_Woodwinds AT bellsouth DOT net
318-780-9098

·
Banned
686 Posts
Doc,

When you prep a horn for plating or lacquer, how do you strip old lacquer and how much buffing do you do to prep fro the new finish?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BradshawM,

lacquer is removed by chemical process, no buffing or grinding to remove lacquer. The prep buffing is kept to a bare minimum. I will not buff out deep scratches, etc...as it makes the horn too thin and makes the metal weaker where it is thin. The polishing on/around the engraving is done by hand so it won't be worn away like so many I have seen.:treble:

HIS servant,
Doc

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
what is your average alto prices for different types of replateing?
i know this is a bit vague, but i'm just curious,
great work btw!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jmm1713 said:
How much do you charge to chemically strip a 5 digit mark vi alto ??
Don't do it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! replating is like cosmetic surgery............do you want your horn to be kate Blanchette or Pamela Anderson?

·
Registered
644 Posts
selmer said:
Don't do it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! replating is like cosmetic surgery............do you want your horn to be kate Blanchette or Pamela Anderson?
I guess that depends on whether you have to have a conversation or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts