Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share photos of my silver sax. I picked this horn up in Boston in a little junk shop when I was there on externship 20 years ago. I've played with it off and on over the years (I'm a trombonist, but always wanted to learn sax) and my 8 year old is just starting alto sax, so I've brought my sax out to practice with him. I got to wondering about the horn's origin again, so have been casually reading about on the internet and stumbled upon this lovely forum. Based on the serial number lists posted, seems this horn is c. 1925(?). It's got some wear and could stand a good cleaning, but I figured I'd share her, anyway.

I would love to hear any comments/thoughts on the horn, if anyone cares to comment and is kind enough to share. I figured at the very least, this post can add photos for others' reference on York & Sons instruments.

The imprint reads:

Ch Jerome
J.W.YORK & SONS
Grand Rapids
Michigan
SOLE AGENTS

on the bell and

LOW PITCH

(I think, looks more 8 than 3) under the thumb rest.

Cheers,
Connie

View attachment 221396 View attachment 221400 View attachment 221398 View attachment 221402 View attachment 221404 View attachment 221406 View attachment 221410 View attachment 221408

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
(oh wow, old post!)

I'm not an expert on identifying vintage saxes but it sure looks like a Buescher built horn to me. I'm using the key guards, rh thumb rest and the pearl G# for the reasoning. 1923-24 ish? Not sure on the year.

Looks good too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd say definitely gold plated. Pretty cool for a York. Do you know how much it ended up going for?
$416. I was bidding, but didn't win. Not a C, but it called to me so I had to try. It has the spats and plate, so a York-made York. I hope the buyer is planning to get it fixed up and play it. Bet it sounds as good as it looks. Must have been a special horn to someone once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts