Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads on the Jazzlab silencer, but I couldn't find anyone with a similar experience to mine.

I use a Jody Jazz HR tenor mouthpiece, and got a silencer recently.
The problem I have is that the range of notes I can reach with the silencer is a fair bit less than without. The resistance with the silencer is very significant too.
I doubt that my silencer is dodgy as it's just 3 bits of plastic. Mouthpiece practice takes practice, however I can usually play a 9th or 10th interval without, and quite well, but the silencer makes it a lot harder.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
What do you think?
Cheers

(tried a HR Barone mpc and different reeds but same problem).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,295 Posts
I don't think that you can expect an exact same response (apart from loudness of course) with a silencer, I haven't done any such comparison tests with mine, I'll try some later today.

Meanwhile, why not contact Silvin, he is a very helpful and communicative and cares about feedback regarding his products. There's a contact page on the jazzlab site.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The problem I have is that the range of notes I can reach with the silencer is a fair bit less than without. The resistance with the silencer is very significant too.
I doubt that my silencer is dodgy as it's just 3 bits of plastic. Mouthpiece practice takes practice, however I can usually play a 9th or 10th interval without, and quite well, but the silencer makes it a lot harder.

What do you think?
I have the same experience. The mouthpiece pitch is a lot higher with the silencer than without, and the range is decreased. Besides, the blowing resistance is a lot higher than with an actual sax (tenor). Furthermore, the reed starts to squeak fairly quickly.

It's probably something to live with; that, or driving the people around you mad with the raw mouthpiece sound :bluewink:

Even with those limitations, I think the silencer is a great tool for practicing in the idle moments, e.g. when driving in the car.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I know there are many threads on the Jazzlab silencer, but I couldn't find anyone with a similar experience to mine.

What do you think?
Cheers

(tried a HR Barone mpc and different reeds but same problem).
Hi.

What are the tip openings on the M.P's you have used ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts