Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here compared an SII neck vs an SIII neck on the same bari? I am getting one or the other to fit on my VI and will need to pick without opportunity to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I’d get a Jupiter neck and save some cash.
I have 3 necks for my YBS61 and notice no real difference between them apart from the cork diameter.
One of them is a Jupiter neck and the other is a Phil Barone neck.
They sound and tune much like the original.
I matins it would be similar on a VI.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d get a Jupiter neck and save some cash.
I have 3 necks for my YBS61 and notice no real difference between them apart from the cork diameter.
One of them is a Jupiter neck and the other is a Phil Barone neck.
They sound and tune much like the original.
I matins it would be similar on a VI.
Selmer lists the necks at $170. so not awful. A friend is in Paris right now staying practically across the street from Selmer so if I can make it happen he'll pick it up for me. I'm getting a new socket at the same time - current one is damaged...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Selmer lists the necks at $170. so not awful. A friend is in Paris right now staying practically across the street from Selmer so if I can make it happen he'll pick it up for me. I'm getting a new socket at the same time - current one is damaged...
Selmer unfortunately doesn't sell directly to public, you can go there but would have to buy through a retailer and in Paris that $170 turns into approx. 200 euros (inc. 20% sales tax)

·
7,906 Posts
Selmer unfortunately doesn't sell directly to public, you can go there but would have to buy through a retailer and in Paris that $170 turns into approx. 200 euros (inc. 20% sales tax)
This is what I thought.
But still it’s not too expensive.
I thought they would be far more.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is probably the way it will go. Will see...
thx
-m

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paris connection (isn't that a movie?) didn't pan out.

But back to my original question...

Has anyone here compared an SII neck vs an SIII neck on the same bari?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Has anyone here compared an SII neck vs an SIII neck on the same bari? I am getting one or the other to fit on my VI and will need to pick without opportunity to play.
Hi
I haven’t compare the SII and SIII necks on the same Bari as you ask, but I tried my SII neck on my low Bb mark vi and it didn’t make any difference. I also tried the mark vi neck on my S80 II with the same result. I read here sometime ago that apparently selmer didn’t change the neck between the mark vi and the S80.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
I haven’t compare the SII and SIII necks on the same Bari as you ask, but I tried my SII neck on my low Bb mark vi and it didn’t make any difference. I also tried the mark vi neck on my S80 II with the same result. I read here sometime ago that apparently selmer didn’t change the neck between the mark vi and the S80.
Hope this helps.
That's great information - thanks:) I'm imagining the II and III have the same neck but am trying to confirm. Can't find a part # for an SIII neck which makes me think there might not be one:)

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I have a friend with an early (5 digit) VI low A bari, and we tried his neck on my Series II. OMG - best of both worlds. Great Vintage type sound, modern intonation, great feel. If I could figure out a way to go there, I would.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I haven't played a low A horn in years, is it the same neck for a Low Bb Selmer vs a Low A Selmer? If it is, this might be a better solution for my Mark VI neck; it's been pretty well knackered and dented as long as I've had it!

·
2,008 Posts
That's great information - thanks:) I'm imagining the II and III have the same neck but am trying to confirm. Can't find a part # for an SIII neck which makes me think there might not be one:)
I have a four page brochure for the Serie III baritone, as well as the baritone itself which I love ! The brochure says:

Neck: new cone shape, specific Series III angle and nickel silver socket: Natural projection, balanced registers and easy nuances.

So The SIII neck is definitely different to the SII.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a four page brochure for the Serie III baritone, as well as the baritone itself which I love ! The brochure says:

Neck: new cone shape, specific Series III angle and nickel silver socket: Natural projection, balanced registers and easy nuances.

So The SIII neck is definitely different to the SII.

Rhys
Excellent information - thanks!

·
4,544 Posts
I have at least 5 baritone necks that I can remember...and use them interchangeably on both my Mk VI (Low Bb) and Yani B-991
In addition to the originals for both:
Selmer Series II
Selmer SA80
Gloger sterling

If you blindfolded me I'm certain I couldn't tell the difference. Mainly I use them because baritone mouthpieces shank IDs are widely variable and this way I can cork these for my bari mouthpiece collection (Bullet Bergs and Old Links)

·
4,544 Posts
I haven't played a low A horn in years, is it the same neck for a Low Bb Selmer vs a Low A Selmer? If it is, this might be a better solution for my Mark VI neck; it's been pretty well knackered and dented as long as I've had it!
Yup...the same...see my post immediately above

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a Series III bari and recently sold a Mark VI bari. The necks are interchangeable regarding tenon size. I find the Series III neck a little quicker responding and a little brighter sounding. For what it's worth, I use a Yamaha 62 neck on my Series III bari. I like the sound better and I think the intonation is improved a little.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have both of these necks, and have used both on my series 2 bari, and both work fine. I had a spare series 2 neck I sold a few years back to a friend who loves it on his Mark 6 bari.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts