Sax on the Web Forum banner

What do you look for in a new sax

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these new Signature Custom sax's yet i have and was blown away it. it played so much better than my yani T991 (which hurts me to say as i loved that horn).
Seriously it was awesome heres there web link if anyone is interested www.signaturecustom.co.uk
These horns are all hand made from what i can gather

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I tried a couple and was not impressed at all. The intonation seemed a bit out, but that may have been due to the fact that the action was way too open. I always expect to get a new horn set up and tweaked a bit after buying, however as they are supposed to be set up by a technician at the factory, I thought that was rather bad. Compared with other horns at the same price or cheaper I was rather disappointed as they certainly look nice.

On the same day I tried many other horns and I'm sorry to say the Trevor James did not seem to measure up.

Odd, the website doesn't mention Trevor James. Also says made in England, I thought these were assembled in England from foreign made parts. I might be wrong though.

·
28,952 Posts
I think the ones I tried were about £2000 for Phosphor Bronze and £2800 for solid silver (USDollars would be about double that these days)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the last time you tried one then Pete i had a go on one when they first came out and thought they were ok but didnt buy one at the time then i tried them about 12 months after that and found a massive improvment, I guess as they have developed they have got better and better. as for the made in England thing as far as i know they are all assembled in the UK completly i belive that some of the parts actually come from the UK and some from abroad (i dont see a problem with that myself).
all i know is that mine and the others i tried play and sound superb..but i guess we all have our preferences.
i would be interested to know what combinations you tried and against what horns etc.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
One of my students has one and absolutely loves it. It looks gorgeous (black nickel and silver plate), is very sturdily built, sounds gorgeous (even in the hands/mouth of a raw beginner, the tone is rich and full) and the after sales care we got is the best I have ever known.

Downsides... hmm.. not really a known and established name outside of UK so reselling later may take a hit. Also, compared to my 875, its overall about an inch shorter.

Bottom line, if you can live without the brand name snobbery and want to buy a bargain, try a Trevor James Custom.

As for the poll, my answer is "all of the above".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your thinking of the rev 2 ltd edtion they did i saw one of them they looked pretty cool. i didnt think they did a custom in nickel plate and there defo not student sax's.

·
28,952 Posts
rogcwilliams said:
When was the last time you tried one then Pete i had a go on one when they first came out and thought they were ok but didnt buy one at the time then i tried them about 12 months after that and found a massive improvment,
I tried a couple about 2 or 3 weeks ago so I imagine they are the latest. If they really are made in England not just "assembled" in England then I wish them the best of luck as I'm keen to see British made products become successful, and hope they can improve them beyond their looks - but all these things are very subjective (apart from the bad intonation I suppose).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny i dont have any intonation problems with mine at all it seems spot on to me and i have to say anyone that has played my one has never said anything about the intonation not being good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried one a year ago, and it was very good, and the intonation was fine. Sound was good, to my ears better than a Yamaha YTS62, but not as good as some others. Maybe what we see here is a reflection of some inconsitency?

Incidentally, Pete, it does say on the website that it's a Trevor James brand - it's mentioned on the contacts page. Not exactly huge letters though. I guess their thinking is a bit like that of Lexus not being too explicit about being a Toyota brand......

·
28,952 Posts
Quite, I wouldn't assume they are all as bad as those I tried, I'm not doubting at all that many amy be very good horns with happy owners.

Yes I saw that mention of Trevor James eventually, once Grumps pointed it out. I wonder if they are aiming towards rebranding some time.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Pete Thomas said:
I think the ones I tried were about £2000 for Phosphor Bronze and £2800 for solid silver (USDollars would be about double that these days)
You could actually buy a real sax for that price.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yeah, whaler nailed it: why buy a real saxophone when you can get a real saxophone instead!? :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
in the UK they are very well known, but for all the wrong reasons really --

cheap student saxes,

edit:
Ok, sorry, that was kind of a pointless comment to make

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SearjeantSax said:
in the UK they are very well known, but for all the wrong reasons really --

cheap student saxes,
a guy i know had a signature series and it sounded ok i suppose, but not great, and after a while it was almost falling to bits
although, he's not the sort of person i suppose takes real care of their instruments ;)
Right so firstly you post that there sax's fall apart then you say your mate dosent take care of it ..well thats why it fell apart then isnt it and nothign to do with the make...its my understanding they offer a 5 yr warrenty on the instruments, i dont htink they would do that if they were not sure they would be ok ..after all it would be a bit pointless

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
Pete Thomas said:
I Also says made in England, I thought these were assembled in England from foreign made parts. I might be wrong though.
They're actually completely made in England.

The student and intermediate horns are made in Taiwan and assembled and checked in England

·
28,952 Posts
They're actually completely made in England.

The student and intermediate horns are made in Taiwan and assembled and checked in England
Not according to the marketing on sax.co.uk, they appear to be made in Taiwan and assembled in England (rather poorly if the ones I've tried are anything to go by)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts