Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just joined the site- thank you all for the knowledge you often post, it has greatly helped us in our advancement.

My son is a senior in high school preparing for music school auditions which require sightreading.
Does anyone know of any computer programs that will force you to read ahead? During lessons, my son's teacher covers up the music that he is reading which seems to help but it would be great if he could practice this at home as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
467 Posts
EarMaster5 has a sight-reading section. I'm not sure how good it is for reading ahead - the user has to tap out the music that is displayed on the screen.

Rhythm workshop!
EarMaster includes a series of interactive rhythm exerices to challenge your timing, tighten your future performances, and training you at memorizing and transcribing rhythmic patterns.
You can either perform the rhythms by hitting the Space bar of your computer keyboard, by playing it on a MIDI intrument, or even by clapping your hands in front of a microphone!!

There is a demo for Mac and PC at:
http://www.earmaster.com/

Richard

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,750 Posts
The best way to improve sight reading is to just get a lot of music you've never seen before.... and start playing.
If your son is a Senior in high school he should already know all of the basic rythem patterns, and all of the major and minor scales.

Tapping out stuff of on a computer keyboard doesn't do anything for getting the correct rythems along with the correct notes.
You absolutely HAVE to spend lots, and lots of personal time with your instrument in order to improve ANY part of your playing.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I like to use Band in a Box www.pgmusic.com for this. You can enter chord changes, pick a soloist style, # of choruses, and the computer will generate endless solos and melodys that you can use for sight reading. A lifetime of sight reading available. This is all besides the other advantages to having this program. i.e. Instant background music to practice improv etc. for any tune in the world.
There are a ton of levels and money you can spend on this program, but even if you buy the basic entry level package without all the extra rhythm sets etc.. you get what you need. So don't let the price shock you.. go cheap, it'll give you what you need, and you can upgrade later if you want more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses.

My son is an accomplished player, first chair in all-state, state solo contest etc. He knows all of his scales and works out of the patterns for jazz book as well. I don't think it's his technique. His teacher says that his weakness is not looking far enough ahead. I know pianists look way ahead and are some of the best sight readers around. Dean, do you know if there is an option on band in the box that will cover up music that you are currently playing to force yourself to read ahead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
955 Posts
JJMom..
I don't think so.. at least I haven't found that particular feature. But if you do it from the screen, it's always scrolling, which sort of forces you to do that so you don't fall behind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I like to use Band in a Box www.pgmusic.com for this. You can enter chord changes, pick a soloist style, # of choruses, and the computer will generate endless solos and melodys that you can use for sight reading. A lifetime of sight reading available. This is all besides the other advantages to having this program. i.e. Instant background music to practice improv etc. for any tune in the world.
There are a ton of levels and money you can spend on this program, but even if you buy the basic entry level package without all the extra rhythm sets etc.. you get what you need. So don't let the price shock you.. go cheap, it'll give you what you need, and you can upgrade later if you want more.
+1!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts