Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks I've seen Herbie Hancock and Ben Folds. Both great shows.

At both shows there was what looked like a large FBI style listening device on the side of the stage facing the band, it was on a stand about 6 feet in height. It had a circular back plate in clear plastic about 12 inches in diameter and a cylinder mounted on it, like a top hat turned sideways, but the cylinder was only about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

Anyone know what they are?

Just Curious!

Cheers

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Wireless antennae?

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
In ear monitors? Wireless intercom (for the stage crew)? Wireless feed for the hearing impaired?

·
Banned
66 Posts
In the last two weeks I've seen Herbie Hancock and Ben Folds. Both great shows.

At both shows there was what looked like a large FBI style listening device on the side of the stage facing the band, it was on a stand about 6 feet in height. It had a circular back plate in clear plastic about 12 inches in diameter and a cylinder mounted on it, like a top hat turned sideways, but the cylinder was only about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

Anyone know what they are?

Just Curious!

Cheers
One of these:

It's an antenna for the in-ear monitor transmitters. It was probably mounted on a mic stand.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Man, antennae are looking weirder and weirder....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
One of these:

It's an antenna for the in-ear monitor transmitters. It was probably mounted on a mic stand.
I was gonna guess it was a giant-for-some-reason Civil War-era IUD:

But on reflection I guess Herbie and Ben wouldn't have a reason to have a giant Civi War-era IUD mounted on a stand onstage. But I feel I should put it out there, just in case, because I've never heard either artist say definitively "No, we don't use a giant Civi War-era IUD onstage," either.

You're welcome.

·
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of these:

Winner!!!

Thanks guys, mystery solved!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't have enough hobbies to properly drain my bank account, so I decided to pick up the sax again after 30 years.
Ah, well then you should also consider picking up shooting and/or Ham radio, as those have served to help me more quickly deplete my bank accounts than playing saxophone ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts