Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Otto Link Super Tone Edge Master Tenor metal mouthpiece. I just discovered that the side rails are of a different height(see attachment.) I have problems with squeaks with some reeds and I wonder if anyone reading this knows about getting the mouthpiece refaced. I live in south New Hampshire and I'm not far from Boston.

Attachments

·
Vendor
15,761 Posts
Go to Marin Spivak. He is out your way, and does very good work.
He’s a member here and his username is Horned Toad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,224 Posts
Different side rail height is what we call a crooked facing...If your tools are right that thing is WAYYYYYYYY off. It would cause squeaks and a enough loss of efficiency that it would cut projection and impact the resonance and clarity of the piece. It could have been made that way or more likely dropped in its lifetime. Link brass is VERY soft and a drop on the side can throw the whole thing out of wack.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sigmund,
I saw your website before I even posted this thread. One of your endorsers, Paul Perez, is a friend and colleague, and I know what a mouthpiece fanatic he is...I can play this mouthpiece with the right reed and I like the sound, so I would not want to change the facing, just simply even the side rails. What would you suggest?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,224 Posts
It depends on if the facing is wrong all the way down to the tip.

If that is the case the tip rail will need work and therefore require at least minor work on the baffle.

The right refacer will fist play the piece and then do necessary corrections. The piece should sound the same or better (more clarity).
The wrong refacer (and some of these are big names) will turn it into their interpretation and make it too bright (most commonly).

Paul is a gem. He offered useful feedback on the design of some of my pieces.

He has bought a few but on the whole, he tends to play higher baffle power pieces which are not my primary focus.

I have been thinking of shooting him an email just to say hi. In addition to being a great player, he is a pleasure to talk to and has a lovely twisted sense of humor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts