Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting the lower register creeping in when I played D2 and Eb2and eventually G2.

I noticed it more with my practice reed. Also noticed I was blowing harder to get those notes cleanly. Mostly I couldn't though.

So I analysed that it must be the side octave key.

It's hard to reach on a Selmer. I took a small paper clip and straightened it out with a 90 degree bend at one end to go in from where the octave key extends inside.

A large paper clip would have been better or maybe a pipe cleaner.

I finally got the paper clip to go through where I could see it coming out.

The real problem was pressing the octave key and holding the rod on top so the pad would stay open. I guess I could have used a rubber band. Duh! Now I think of it.

The paper clip was not long enough to reach the pad. I lucked out.

Put the horn together and those notes are clean and it's playing like new with any reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Use a pipe cleaner instead of a sharp metal object or paperclip that has a burr on the end as there's less danger of scratching anything so long as the cut ends are bent back tightly on themselves.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a pipe cleaner instead of a sharp metal object or paperclip that has a burr on the end as there's less danger of scratching anything so long as the cut ends are bent back tightly on themselves.
Thanks Chris. I'll do that next time.

Like I said I was lucky the paper clip was just long enough not to reach the pad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts