Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,019 Posts
I've used both Sugru and epoxy putty on different horns, and I think both work well.

Two especially nice things about epoxy putty are that (1) it dries hard, so that the keys feel more or less like stock side keys, and (2) it comes in colors meant to blend with existing brass and steel fixtures, so it can blend very well with oxidized brass.

For example, I've posted the epoxy putty risers that I made for my Keilwerth tenor below. As you can see, the risers blend in very well with the worn F#3 and C/Eb spatula touchpieces.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bondo auto filler works well. I didn't like the cork layers than epoxy overcoat method and since I had some Bondo...
I pulled some plastic food wrap around the key press. Then I made a wall around the area using masking tape. This way, the top of the key was exposed but not the sides. I mixed up a little Bondo with hardener and spooned it into my little makeshift mold, ensuring there were no air bubbles and that it was in full contact with the key. Since i used extra hardener, it was solid in abut 6 minutes.
I unwrapped the tape and by pulling on the food wrap, it popped off so I could shape it.
I put the key back on my sax and after rough sanding for height and shape, I simply taped it onto the key for final shaping and sizing. The lump of hardened plasic fit perfectly over the curve of the key press and the tape held it stable through a lot of practice.
Next stop was fine sanding and now I will paint it, but not sure what color yet. I have chrome keys, gold-ish body. I'm thinking white or silver. Once painted, I can simply put it on with contact cement.

I also have liquid acrylic that you mix with a hardener that would get a clear, see-through look, but it takes too long to harden and is pretty messy to work with. The Bondo is like working with a thin putty. It cures hard and is sandable and paintable. If you catch it early in the cure, you can use a razor knife for the rough shaping. Nice.
I only did the D key and that seems very playable now.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts