Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put side key (Ta, Tc C3) risers on their horns? Please show your creations and experience! :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would get a set of the black rubber push-on types and see if you like the change enough to do something like add semi-permanent build-ups. You may even find that those suffice. Other players' testimonials will just leave you wondering.

With that said, I have a couple of tenors that for years have been set up with the push-ons on side and palm keys. There are comments here by other members that they fall off. Probably true using the wrong attack. A friend played my alto with palm key risers and pulled two of them off in under a minute.

I've had two saxes with build-ups on palm keys, low C, and low Bb that had a bit of texture; probably sugru? Those were comfortable to play, also. Pretty ugly, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,857 Posts
I never felt the need to augment the size of those keys on any horn but you can make risers easily using cork, as easily as one wold with palm keys.

fist roughly shape them in cork by outlining the design, cut them with a utility blade and then sand with sandpaper bringing it down to whatever shape and size you need.cork attaches well with contact cement is very durable and removable at will. Buy, if possible, a high density cork block

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The right hand side keys are for E, C and Bb. How does that relate to your Ta, Tc, C3 terminology? I can see Trill A and Trill C. But how does C3 relate to E?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have found that sheet cork works the best because you don't have to carve out from the bottom to fit the curved surface of the key, you just wrap it around. Add layers till it's a bit too high then cut it down to fit. (I use a clear quick-set epoxy.) If you cut off too much, sand or file it smooth and glue on another layer.

I have some cork risers like this (on left hand palm keys, not RH side keys, but the principle's the same) that were on my baritone when I bought it in 1984 and they're still fine. (Baritone is my main instrument and gets played a lot.)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I used Sugru on my tenor and soprano:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The right hand side keys are for E, C and Bb. How does that relate to your Ta, Tc, C3 terminology? I can see Trill A and Trill C. But how does C3 relate to E?
That's the only standard nomenclature I've heard of.
Could be that it's the third key above the stack. Does anybody know?

·
38,857 Posts
Thanks GHawk, that's exactly what I was asking for. I've used Sugru on the palm keys and will use it here too.
I thought that my contribution answered your question too, sugru looks ugly but if you like it, go for it

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I originally put Runyon black rubber risers on the side keys of my former Selmer Series II alto. These were less than ideal. They felt a bit too soft, and even when glued on, they were hard to keep stable. I replaced them with a set of Oleg brass risers, which attached securely with screws. These risers were much more satisfactory. The height is not adjustable, but I found the amount of boost to be strongly preferable to the unadorned, too-low Selmer side keys. (The brass risers also looked much nicer than the black ones.) I sold the Olegs along with the horn. I don't know whether the buyer is still using them, but he seemed to regard their presence as a plus for the sale.

·
Registered
718 Posts
View attachment 240844
...sugru looks ugly ...
I think these brown palm key risers (matches the pads on this one) look as nice as any cork ones I've seen. Unfortunatly Sugru only sells the brown color mixed with other colors, not by itself. I have some more brown (along with some green and grey packets) Sugru coming to do the side keys.
Another option is to use gold fingernail polish to cover the Sugru.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
View attachment 240844 I think these brown palm key risers (matches the pads on this one) look as nice as any cork ones I've seen. Unfortunatly Sugru only sells the brown color mixed with other colors, not by itself...
How about adding brown paint pigment powder to white sugru.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought that my contribution answered your question too, sugru looks ugly but if you like it, go for it
Sorry, didn't mean to leave you out in the cold! :) I've tried cork before, and I think it's a lot of work and good results are not guaranteed... at least not for me! :)

·
38,857 Posts
ok, well, I have had only very good results, I have even fashioned a grip for my camera finding it nice , feeling very good and not at all difficult to make.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Another option is to use Poly Morph moldable plastic. You heat the pellets in how water until clear and then mold the plastic around the key and shape as needed. When it cools you have a smooth firm key riser that stays in place without needing glue or adhesives. To remove, your just immerse the key touch in boiling water and it peels right off leaving no marks. Poly Plastics They even have gold and silver metallic colored pellets you can mix in to produce the desired color and shade.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I never felt the need to augment the size of those keys on any horn but you can make risers easily using cork, as easily as one wold with palm keys.

fist roughly shape them in cork by outlining the design, cut them with a utility blade and then sand with sandpaper bringing it down to whatever shape and size you need.cork attaches well with contact cement is very durable and removable at will. Buy, if possible, a high density cork block
+1. I think cork is the best solution for risers, whether on palm keys or side keys (although I've never felt the need for side key risers). Cork is easy to work with and shape to a perfect fit, inexpensive, sticks well and stays on with contact cement, looks fine, and is also removable with no damage to the keys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts