Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
1958 Selmer Mark VI, 1926 Conn New Wonder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Bit of a nerdy question, but thought this would be the place to come! I recently changed my OS to Ubuntu, and was very disappointed to find that Sibelius doesn't have a Linux version. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with this, or any good replacement software for Linux?

Thanks!

Registered
You should definitely try Lilypond (http://lilypond.org). It takes some getting-used-to because you enter the music in a text file using a type of musical shorthand (e.g. type c8 for a eighth-note C), from which then Lilypond renders a pdf file. Lilypond handles all the formatting issues to produce a beautiful score. If you're not into the whole "programming" thing, you can use a frontend called Denemo (www.denemo.org) that allows you to enter the music graphically, but then runs Lilypond to produce a beautiful score.

Registered
+1 for LilyPond and MuseScore (Ubuntu and Debian here, too). saxmusicguy, have you tried Denemo recently? It used to crash a lot - if it's more stable it may be helpful. I also use NtEd, but I think in its latest version, MuseScore is more powerful and easier to handle. But there's a learning curve. Rosegarden is very powerful (especially with MIDI), but fiddly IMHO.

Sometimes, for jotting down things quickly, I use ABC music notation - in the ABC plus flavour (documentation is on the site linked). It's even faster than LilyPond because the syntax is less cluttered (but also less expressive!), and there are several online converters to produce sheet music if you don't want to mess around locally on the CLI. If everything else fails, there's always flabc, but there are other helpful tools, too. I think that after an hour of constant markup, you'll be able to handle ABC (plus) without issue. It's very well suited for quick and simple stuff (written solos, single voices, transcriptions and the like).

M.

Registered
+1 for LilyPond and MuseScore (Ubuntu and Debian here, too). saxmusicguy, have you tried Denemo recently? It used to crash a lot - if it's more stable it may be helpful. I also use NtEd, but I think in its latest version, MuseScore is more powerful and easier to handle. But there's a learning curve. Rosegarden is very powerful (especially with MIDI), but fiddly IMHO.

Sometimes, for jotting down things quickly, I use ABC music notation - in the ABC plus flavour (documentation is on the site linked). It's even faster than LilyPond because the syntax is less cluttered (but also less expressive!), and there are several online converters to produce sheet music if you don't want to mess around locally on the CLI. If everything else fails, there's always flabc, but there are other helpful tools, too. I think that after an hour of constant markup, you'll be able to handle ABC (plus) without issue. It's very well suited for quick and simple stuff (written solos, single voices, transcriptions and the like).

M.
Interesting options, MoonMind. I have not been using Denemo recently. Thanks for pointing out the other tools.

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
I run Sibelius 6 on an Acer Aspire One netbook. I did add extra ram to the netbook, which involves ripping it apart but even this doesn't really help.
Sibelius will run on a Ubuntu machine with Virtual Box and Windows XP....BUT.....it's soooo slow you'd be quicker writing charts by hand.

Seriously, I have to go and make a coffee whilst waiting for it to load and entering or editing scores takes hours. Not worth it. Buy a cheapo laptop that runs windows. Sibelius 6 is a very hungry program. Too many bells and whilstles to run in a virtual box.

Registered
I fully agree with the last assessment - but I say, use one of the native (and free!) solutions instead :)

M.

Registered
Hi all...
I just found this topic and thought I'd butt in my 2cents here...

You CAN run Sibelius on Linux!
I've been using Sib on Ubuntu 10.04 for three years, and on Linux Mint 14 since it was released a few months back.

It works fine under Wine (in XP mode)...

What mostly works:
-Installing, setup, registration
-music entry/editing/copying/pasting, etc.
-playback (to an external Roland USB synth) mostly works, with occasional stops & stutters...
...I have NOT tried a software synth or special 'sound' files...)
(also it required a small patch to be entered into the terminal for the Midisport USB adapter)
-Text entry/editing can be a little 'flaky' but usable once you get the hang of it...

(Another plus is the ability to also run Band in a Box in the same system & grab the rhythm section files...)

The 'Kicker', though is:
You HAVE to use the original Sibelius Version 1.4, before the programmers at Avid got their big fat hands all over it!!!
You can probably find Sib 1.4 on some of the torrents (be careful up there!) ; if you look in ebay you might even find some original CD's there.

All my charts up on leeharrismusic.net were done with Sib 1.4, and anything from the last 3 years was done in Linux.

Email me with questions (not too technical, please..) and I'll try to help.

LeeHB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts