Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our very own JL, who has done so much for SOTW, writing articles, contributing to discussion and giving helpful advice.

He sent me his latest CD - Encore, and gave permission to do a little compilation of his solos, so here it is finally - a mix of tracks from South City Blues band with an emphasis on the saxophone - great R & B playing.

https://soundcloud.com/petethomasmusic%2Fencore
(Just don't ask what mouthpiece he is playing!)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Really great stuff! Thanks for the custom mix with just the tasty parts, Pete! Terrific playing- so much for a guy like me to listen to and emulate. Thanks, John!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Thanks Pete, for putting those clips together. Very nice of you to do so.

And thanks for the compliments everyone. I often cringe a bit when listening to myself on recordings (always so much room for improvement), so it's nice to get some positive feedback.

(Just don't ask what mouthpiece he is playing!)
Probably no need to ask, just take a wild guess (given Pete Thomas spent the time to put those clips out). But ok, no need for guessing games:

Mpc: Ebonite PPT 9*
Horn: Buescher 156 Aristo tenor
Reed: Rigotti Gold 3 light

I got the mpc from Pete during the recording session; I usually like to spend time adjusting to any new mpc, but I liked it straightaway so decided to use it on the recording (it's "Maiden Voyage" so to speak). And normally I'd play the MKVI, but I wanted to hear what the Buescher sounded like on a recording, so I went with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I would've thought it would've been the 10MFan Robusto/MKVI combo .. you can't always tell just from a recording .

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Gotta love that bluesy Buescher tone! Nice playing, JL--sweet phrasing and great control.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I would've thought it would've been the 10MFan Robusto/MKVI combo .. you can't always tell just from a recording .

Hi,
JL has a Robusto Metal but mostly uses my Black Widow hard rubber mouthpiece.
Great to hear my friend playing....always a joy.
If you haven’t checked out Pete Thomas, he’s also a fantastic player and it’s always a pleasure to hear him too.

·
4,680 Posts
Hi,
JL has a Robusto Metal but mostly uses my Black Widow hard rubber mouthpiece.
Great to hear my friend playing....always a joy.
If you haven’t checked out Pete Thomas, he’s also a fantastic player and it’s always a pleasure to hear him too.
Hey, thanks for the clarification, I lost track of which model he uses these days .

Here's another smoking blues clip with JL and Honkbopsax who also uses your pieces, I think ?

Maybe it's the Black Widow on this one, I dunno ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEc4CpMl_os

·
23,013 Posts
Here's another smoking blues clip with JL and Honkbopsax who also uses your pieces, I think ?

Maybe it's the Black Widow on this one, I dunno ….
Oh man, that's ancient history. The BW hadn't been made yet. I was playing an RPC back then. I don't know who recorded it, but the sound quality of that video clip is terrible (probably the sound levels were such that it couldn't be recorded well).

·
4,680 Posts
Oh man, that's ancient history. The BW hadn't been made yet. I was playing an RPC back then. I don't know who recorded it, but the sound quality of that video clip is terrible (probably the sound levels were such that it couldn't be recorded well).
Wasn't paying close enough attention but that clip was uploaded in 2012 so I guess 'ancient history' to you ? :)

Didn't find the sound quality to be terrible at all - I could hear everyone's solos clearly: 2 guitar solos, you, Eric and Doug .

You have a definite style that apparently is pretty consistent from the dark ages of that jam session to the recent upload by Pete.
Hey man, I just enjoyed seeing you live and liked the contrasting stylistic approaches between you three guys .

I think I'd recognize you if I heard you on the radio so that's pretty cool, actually . Yer blues, John.. yer blues .

·
23,013 Posts
Hey Tryptykon, you're right of course; 2012 is not ancient history by any measure (feels like just yesterday to me). I was just making the point (by exaggeration) that it was well before the Black Widow or (I think) the PPT mpcs were on the market, so I couldn't have been playing either one.

Let me just state that for me both mpcs (BW & PPT) are great, and leave it at that.

Anyway, as to the sound quality on that video, I just have a thing about so many poor quality live recordings that end up on you tube. If you liked that clip, too bad you weren't there in person. It sounded considerably better in the room.

·
4,680 Posts
Hey Tryptykon, you're right of course; 2012 is not ancient history by any measure (feels like just yesterday to me). I was just making the point (by exaggeration) that it was well before the Black Widow or (I think) the PPT mpcs were on the market, so I couldn't have been playing either one.

Let me just state that for me both mpcs (BW & PPT) are great, and leave it at that.

Anyway, as to the sound quality on that video, I just have a thing about so many poor quality live recordings that end up on you tube. If you liked that clip, too bad you weren't there in person. It sounded considerably better in the room.
I hear ya on all points. Anyway.. it looked like a very fun gig !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts