Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or maybe it already is. When someone comments about a price being too high, they immediately get jumped on and reminded of the "no price discussion in the marketplace" rule. But what about the flip side, where someone raves about what a great deal an item is? It happens all the time (I just read two new posts like this) and is never commented on. Does/should the "no price discussion" be applied to positive comments as well as negative? The argument against positive comments is that it can work against the interests of buyers in the same way that negative comments potentially affect sellers, by misleading a buyer into thinking an item is a better deal than it is if the commentor is either dishonest or ill-informed.

An argument can be made that the positive comments are just intended to help potential buyers, but can't that same argument be made when someone comments that an item is overpriced?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I do this sometimes. This is always because I truly believe the item being sold is an excellent bargain. Usually, it's something I would consider buying myself except that I may already have one or something similar, or I just don't need or can't afford it right then. And I want to let others know so, if I can't have it, someone else can.

I also appreciate it when others do this. When a long-time SOTW member that I respect jumps in with a positive comment about an item, it sometimes helps me decide to buy it. That usually happens when it is an item I know very little about, and then some well-respected players comments that they have one of these and it works great, plus they paid a whole lot more for theirs. This kind of help is very valuable.

The only down side I see is if folks actually use this technique here on SOTW to truly booster someones sale. I see very little evidence of this type of abuse. It's just not a common problem here. So why fix something that is not broken?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
I just don't care and it's none of my business what an item (musical) sells for here or elsewhere, if I want one (or "it") I'll purchase it unless it seems ridiculous to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
An argument can be made that the positive comments are just intended to help potential buyers, but can't that same argument be made when someone comments that an item is overpriced?
Yes the same argument can be made. In an ideal world, I think people would be able to comment on the price either way; but of course the negative comments are the ones that cause rows so they are the one which are (rightly) banned. The kind of positive observations which you highlight are still largely helpful, so it would be a shame to ban those too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
For example... someone posts in a for sale ad, telling the seller to stop lowering the price on his horn for sale,
and tells us what a great buy it is at the going price or for more, but has no intention of buying it himself.

Who wouldn't want to pay less?

edit: The poster probably owns a similar horn and doesn't want to see further devaluation of it in the marketplace,
especially if he is considering selling his horn later.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Sax-ony has it right. Most members loath too much censorship, so imposing rules where they aren't needed will not be received well, nor is it warranted in this case.

We don't allow price sniping in ads because it causes real problems.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
A few forums I post on are like this. What's the deal with that?
Why do we have that policy, or why do people feel the need to snipe and sabotage other people's ads?

In the latter case, I think that those who have little real information in general to post tend to fixate on needling and harassing as a form of participation on forum boards. You won't find the knowledgeable, heavy hitting contributors of quality, informative posts doing this. Nor do they have the time for such trolling behavior.

·
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why do we have that policy, or why do people feel the need to snipe and sabotage other people's ads?

In the latter case, I think that those who have little real information in general to post tend to fixate on needling and harassing as a form of participation on forum boards. You won't find the knowledgeable, heavy hitting contributors of quality, informative posts doing this. Nor do they have the time for such trolling behavior.
But one person's "sabotage" is another's well-intended warning to others to beware an inflated price. And I have seen instances where I thought the "grab this deal" comment was unfair to any buyer who might take it to heart.

I'm ambivalent about adding or enforcing (yet another) rule (I just looked up the price discussion rule and it says "Do not publicly debate the asking price. If you have an issue with the list price, take it up with the seller in private."), but I do often feel a sense of uneasiness when I see buyers being freely urged to snap up "bargains" whereas a warning on an inflated price will immediately draw fire.

Let me just throw out a note of caution on the "bargain" notices - take them with a grain of salt, as they can be as un-informed as any other assertions on the forum. And as a second suggestion, to those posting such notices, it would be very helpful to everyone if you would provide any evidence you have to back up your assertion. Case in point: someone just highlighted a horn bargain and cited an eBay auction for the same horn type that went for a much higher price. I would substantially discount this evidence of a bargain based on the scarcity of the horn and associated price volatility, and I was glad to be able to make my own interpretation based on the information underlying the bargain notice.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I can tell you this, the Marketplace is already a burden for the staff to monitor and keep track of. In fact, we have discussed closing the sub forum down many times in the past.

Anything that makes it more difficult is not going to get implemented, especially when it does a great disservice to those posting legitimate ads there and is not really called for.

·
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you this, the Marketplace is already a burden for the staff to monitor and keep track of. In fact, we have discussed closing the sub forum down many times in the past.

Anything that makes it more difficult is not going to get implemented, especially when it does a great disservice to those posting legitimate ads there and is not really called for.
I certainly don't want to further burden the mods. I don't understand what you mean by "does a great disservice ...".

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "does a great disservice ...".
If it was your ad in the marketplace, and everyone and anyone was allowed to clutter it up by posting their 2 cents about the price you have chosen to ask (which is rarely done without malice I might add), you would definitely view it as anything but helpful and illuminating.

Those who genuinely have an interest in the items beyond that of a "tire kicker" will follow the proper channels by contacting the seller privately to negotiate the price. This satisfies both parties without the negatives.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Those who genuinely have an interest in the items beyond that of a "tire kicker"...
You should add one more category: "Tire kickers who want to see photos". We seem to have more than a few, and I find them irritating.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I'm with Enviroguy on this one. I think that comments that an item is overpriced are much more likely (statistically speaking) to be some type of abuse or griping which will not help, while comments that an item as priced is a bargain are most likely to be helpful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I have bought various "Bargain Price" high end horns over the last few years, such as my recent YTS61 and a couple of superb B+S tenors. I have shared my enthusiasm for these horns on this Forum, thus creating interest and critique amongst members. I have rarely --if ever-- discussed the price I paid, what I have tried to do is convince members
that top end professional standard saxophones are 'out there' be they 'vintage' or 'modern' at affordable prices.

I have chipped in on occasion if I consider a price to be too high --when asked. Also in the current economic climate I feel some of the members expect a little more for items they have for sale than people are willing to pay, more so in UK than elsewhere.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
I appreciate it when someone who has a great reputation on the forum as a buyer/ seller, tech, player, or whatever chimes in on an item I might have for sale. I agree that it is not cool to discuss prices (high or low), but I see a lot of comments on my posts and plenty of other peoples' items that say something along the lines of: Nice horn, good luck with the sale...Maybe some more detailed pictures would help you sell your horn...

·
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If it was your ad in the marketplace, and everyone and anyone was allowed to clutter it up by posting their 2 cents about the price you have chosen to ask (which is rarely done without malice I might add), you would definitely view it as anything but helpful and illuminating. ...
You might be misreading - or I might be mis-writing - my meaning. I'm not in favor of removing the ban on price carping. I was ruminating about price boosterism or bargain flagging or whatever you want to call it, which is the flip side of carping, being accepted. As some have suggested here, perhaps the latter is more consistently well-intentioned than the former.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts