Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought this R&C tenor off of ebay and of course it is in poorer state than described.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ram...182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27df17c3de

The rods are rusty, pads are falling away, needs a complete overhaul close to the tune of $800.
I bought it for $600.
The serial is 7625. The engraving is basic. My sax repair guy says it looks like a Conn replica.
What do you reckon?
It is worth spending the money and keeping it? Or should I return it?
They do accept returns so that is an option.

Thanks so much!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,175 Posts
First of all, you’ve bought a very rare and well respected Rampone & Cazzani modello Solista (I believe it is called).

These are early ( ’20, ’30?) and rare saxophones and the only similarities with CONN are merely aesthetic and superficial.

I would consider this a very interesting horn for a collector.

Personally I would consider this to be, from the pictures, in a very good state for a horn that old and I don’t think that you could have expected a horn with original ’20 or ’30 pads to be sealing and not needing an overhaul.

The rusty rods are not a nice detail but can be taken care of in the overhaul which, in my opinion , could and should have been expected for a saxophone this old.

Having said this $600 was perhaps a lot but the thing is, as usual, find another one........I couldn’t find one easily and I doubt that you will ever see many of these around.

Buying and using a horn this old is an acquired taste. If you are into serious vintage and unique horns keep it, otherwise buy a modern horn with the money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Milandro thank you so much for your input.

I am indeed looking for a vintage tenor, partly because I love vintage tone, and partly because the side keys on vintage horns fit my hands better.

I would have liked a Couf Superba ii but I only had $1000 to spend in total.

I researched the sound of R&C tenors and I thought I might like them. I also love everything Italian :)

So it's here and I have no idea what it sounds like, but I really think it is beautiful.

It's a hard decision to make. Especially since my technician said that even once it's fully restored, it still may not play in tune.

Do you have any idea of a resale value of a restored Solista?(I wouldn't want to sell it once restored, unless I really don't like the tone)

I cannot find details on these horns anywhere.

·
42,175 Posts
This is a horn made WAY before Rampone & Cazzani became what it is today and the people who are now the owners of Rampone are,yes , coming from that family but they are related and only by marriage to the Rampone family who made this horn in the early part of the 20th century.

If I were to own one horn alone and I wanted a relatively modern like a Keilwerth ( which is what a Couf is) I wouldn’t have bought a saxophone as old as this. But If I was into this kind of very old saxophone I should, if I were you, hold on to this as a very precious possession.

The value is more historical that monetary and if you are investing way above $1000 you might never be able to recuperate that kind of money on a sale, but this is a labour of love.

·
42,175 Posts
View attachment 53505 View attachment 53506

Here's some pics. It doesn't say Solista anywhere. Does that matter?

Thanks,

Georgia
Hello Georgia, no, I doesn't.

I don't know if any of these ever had the name " Solista " engraved on them but they are known as such among some collectors ( Many saxophones have names that aren't their " official " name: Naked Lady, Shooting Star......).

They are uncommon saxophones but they are out there and they are collectable. How much they are worth is not an easy matter and there are too few sold on any market to be sure that there is a market price as such.

If I were to buy one in perfect restored state (please, please, seek a technician whom will do this sympathetically with suitable, perhaps white pads, as they originally were, trying to salvage, if at all possible, the original resonators (these pads might have resonators which screw in the keycup a bit like flute pads) or use no resonators at all as many of these saxophones of this era .

Please don't let it be repaired by just any person who migt be or not an expert in restoring a horn like this. The work would make this playable but would without a doubt detract from its value rather than adding to it.

Ask Claudio Zolla, at Rampone e Cazzani if they want to restore it for you and for how much. You can tell him that you've spoken to me he knows me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the info. I understand what you're saying Milandro. That's a really nice idea.

I do need a daily player though, not just a collectable.

Do you think a horn this old is up to that kind of treatment?

·
42,175 Posts
Georgia, I have the feeling that you jumped on the vintage horn bandwagon with just too little information on these horns.

You can certainly play a horn like this every day, after all they were made for being used and not as relics, but the question is would a horn like this accomplish the same results for the goals of a relatively experienced (I think, from what you write) player as a modern horn at least 80 years younger would?

Difficult to say! You say you like the “ vintage tone” (whatever that means) and that you would have liked a Keilwerth Couf Superba, but then you bought a horn CONSIDERABLY older than these made by different people but especially made when the music that was played on a saxophone was incredibly different.

Also, you say you have researched R&C, but I have the feeling that your research was limited to whatever R&C is today but this, is a completely different animal!

When in doubt, and IF they give you the money back.........send it back. Again, if I were into collecting, I would keep it, but then again I feel I have a different perspective than you appear to have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also own a silverplated rampone and cazanni Solista serial 8401 - and mine has indeed solista engraved on it. So maybe your rampone is not a solista but a different model or just a older revision. But you should email rampone at [email protected] with som Pictures and they will tell you what model it is.

This is their answer to me about my rampone, which by the way, are being restored right now:

"It is a very nice piece made by us late 30ties.

It was the pro model of those years … SOLISTA = SOLOIST .

It is certainly worth to repair it but it will cost a pretty significant amount of money, we believe a correct restore could be in between 600 and 800 Euro. After restore it could be worth for 1000 / 1500"

i Payed only about 100$ for mine - a bargain :)

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tread Automotive lighting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it's a pity it was so expensive. I sent it back but I still would really like to hear what they sound like :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Georgia , I was following this horn on ebay too , and was pipped to the post by you in buying it . I would seriously be interested in buying it from you if you want to sell , all be it in its damaged state. It is just a beautiful simple looking horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,468 Posts
Yes it's a pity it was so expensive. I sent it back but I still would really like to hear what they sound like :)
Hello Georgia , I was following this horn on ebay too , and was pipped to the post by you in buying it . I would seriously be interested in buying it from you if you want to sell , all be it in its damaged state. It is just a beautiful simple looking horn!
Looks like it's a done deal. Gone. Outta here...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts