Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. If this question has already been posted, comment a link to that post and I'll remove this thread. I searched, but I couldn't find anything that matched my question. I'm considering buying a Vandoren Optimum mouthpiece, should I try to play on multiple mouthpieces of the same brand to try to find the best one? Or, are the mouthpieces very consistent? I know every horn is different, and you should play multiple horns of the same kind, but are mouthpieces like that as well?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,181 Posts
Vandoren mouthpieces are quality pieces right out of the box. I would only worry about going through a bunch of them if you wanted to try out differently made models or tip openings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
Like he says- for some makes, yes- as they vary. In the case of Vandoren its ont really neccessery, they've very consistent

·
Registered
604 Posts
While Vandoren pieces are very consistent, no two mouthpieces play exactly the same. So use some new reeds (don't use old reeds that have already been broken in to your current mouthpiece's facing curve), and try out a few different facings/tip openings that are close to your target size. When you identify which facing works best for you, try as many pieces with that facing as you can. One of them will be your favorite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,574 Posts
Vandoren mouthpieces are quality pieces right out of the box. I would only worry about going through a bunch of them if you wanted to try out differently made models or tip openings.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
34,574 Posts
A friend of mine recently tried a dozen Vandoren mouthpieces of the same model and size, and he noticed some variance and chose his favorite.
I tried the same reed on the same mouthpiece several times and noticed some variance. :bluewink:

Hey, Nick, I just noticed your sig line. How long have you been with Ted Klum? Do you overlap with Sebastian? Nice to see another face from Ted's shop.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,131 Posts
When I used to get mouthpieces from WWBW I would always order 3 of the same brand and model and pick the one I liked the most. I always noticed differences although with Vandoren they are usually small. That being said I did try some HR Vandorens in a store years ago and I noticed huge differences between the same model. I was picking a piece out for an alto student..............I think the safe bet is to try 3 if you can. Any more than that and you'll drive yourself insane..............

·
34,574 Posts
I think the safe bet is to try 3 if you can. Any more than that and you'll drive yourself insane...
Hmmm...

If I sell my "extra" mouthpieces, might I hope to recover?

On the other hand, what's wrong with being a lil' insane?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts