Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought an alto for my school's jazz band, but I've been thinking about switching to Bari for a couple of reasons:

As someone who just picked up saxophone, I don't think 16th and 32nd note runs will help me learn all too well. I assume most bari music is a little easier.

We have 9 alto sax's in jazz band, and 1 bari. So it would be more balanced.

It seems that switching my embouchure from bass clarinet to bari sax everyday after concert band would be a lot easier than switching from bass clarinet to alto sax.

My Conn 6M alto still needs repairs done to it.

Now, the only problems with that is that I already own the alto, which I most likely won't sell. So getting my own Bari would be tough. My school already owns 2, and they're both being used. My only two options then would be to shell out some money to get a cheaper bari or to see if the other girl who plays tenor would let me use her Buescher Big Bell. What do you think I should do?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Bari parts are not always "easier". They often double the lead alto an octave lower. But I encourage you to play bari or even tenor. Bari is fun as long as you can deal with the physical aspects of it; heavier, etc.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
My only two options then would be to shell out some money to get a cheaper bari or to see if the other girl who plays tenor would let me use her Buescher Big Bell. What do you think I should do?
Is her Buescher a bari or a tenor? I think I'd chose a bari over alto. My first choice horn is a tenor.

Just as an aside, it's Buescher "Big B." That's the engraving and the "B" stands for Buescher, not bell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I switched to Bari for a year when I was in school. I had alot of fun playing the bari. The next year I switched to lead alto in the jazz band.

If you can, try out one of the school's bari saxes to see if you even like it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Bari is Fun! Especially in Big Band.
Here's my favorite parts in order:
:TGNCHK::TGNCHK::TGNCHK:
Lead alto: you're the boss (except for the lead trumpet and Director)
Baritone: You get all the best of the sax AND the trombone parts!
Lead tenor: Parts make no sense. They bribe people to play lead tenor with offers of more solos
2nd alto: Parts make no sense, but the horn is lighter. You might get a solo if you beg.
2nd Tenor: Parts make no sense. You get no solos, unless you're in Woody Herman's band.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is her Buescher a bari or a tenor? I think I'd chose a bari over alto. My first choice horn is a tenor.

Just as an aside, it's Buescher "Big B." That's the engraving and the "B" stands for Buescher, not bell.
She plays Bari in concert band and Tenor in jazz band. The Bari is a Buescher. If she and her dad, who is also a sax player, would let me I was thinking they could let me borrow the Bari just for jazz band. I'm definitely not that knowledgeable about Bueschers but I know this is the one with the bigger bell.

The school has a Jupiter and another Bari that I'm not sure about. Middle schooler has the unknown horn and the bari player already in jazz has the Jupiter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
If you're getting lots of 32nd note runs in a school jazz band, I'll assume you're in high school and the band is a good one. Even good players have to work on tricky parts, so don't let that phase you.

I played 2nd alto in the big band and although Johnnie (Hakukani) was writing tongue in cheek, there's a lot of truth in what he says.

Bari is a lot of fun but you need to be very solid because you're anchoring the horn section sound if that makes sense. I don't think there are really any bludge parts. Lead alto is tough and a lot of responsibility. 2nd alto and tenor are at times a case of "who the ***** writes this $#!%???" Lead tenor is for guys that like to stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, 1000 times a set.

My advice to you, is to find a voice that you like, be it bari, Tenor or alto and just stick it out for a while. It'll all come good in time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Bari is Fun! Especially in Big Band.
Here's my favorite parts in order:
Lead alto: you're the boss (except for the lead trumpet and Director)
Baritone: You get all the best of the sax AND the trombone parts!
Lead tenor: Parts make no sense. They bribe people to play lead tenor with offers of more solos
2nd alto: Parts make no sense, but the horn is lighter. You might get a solo if you beg.
2nd Tenor: Parts make no sense. You get no solos, unless you're in Woody Herman's band.

:mrgreen:

You got that totally right Hak!

In HS, (I was a late bloomer in HS, I only picked up a horn in my Freshman year, alto, for all of the usual reasons) I wanted in to the Jazz Ensemble so bad that I took the Bari part in my Freshman year (no one else wanted it, so I got the school horn). Turned out to be one of the best things that could've happened. Hak totally called it, and it only helped my emboucher for the Alto to the point that I was able to land lead alto the year following. Also having experience on the Bari (and caring) helped me help the bari player in my section, something I wouldn't have had a clue about had I not played the parts. And as for tenor, I would have to agree again with Hak, at least in the last Big Band I played in. In many respects, I still think I want a bari, although I think I've found my (a?) voice on tenor.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
2nd tenor thoughts: Geez, was that a clam I just played or just the b9 (or #9 or 11th)...

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
2nd tenor thoughts: Geez, was that a clam I just played or just the b9 (or #9 or 11th)...
Or....."Damn! Did I misread the key signature???"

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tempting though it may be to ask a friend to borrow their bari i would avoid it. Baris are delicate beasts and get knocked really easily, especially in school band context

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm an alto who switched to bari for jazz, and I'm totally agreeing with soybean right now; try Charles Mingus' "Moanin'" or "Fantasy" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Bari is a LOT of fun though, especially in jazz. My friends in the trumpet section informed me that I tend to rock and dance in my chair when I played bari, but I couldn't help it: bari is just too funky.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Just watch out for the bass trombone player. He might knock your ear rings off one day.

At least keep advil handy. :)

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Don't "switch" to bari... ADD it.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I love playin bari...second to tenor. I agree with a load of stuff here. Dont swap...add. Asking to borrow a vintage horn? Chances are the family will be real nice...even say yeah. What if you ding it? They are big horns..my King took a lot of knocks over the years. Can you not hire one?...see if you like it. 1st tenor for guys who like sitting and standing 1000 times ever night...great.....good luck...a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I don't think the "easier switching embouchure" issue between bass clarinet to bari is particularly relevant — the two horns are really nothing alike. The loose bari grip doesn't translate to b.c. and the intricacies of voicing on the b.c. can't really be applied to bari. I'm not saying you can't do both (lots of us double on both), I'm just saying not to expect a lot of similarity between them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts