Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm rather new to saxophone. I've been learning it for the past 6 monthes at college and I recently purchased a Yamaha YAS-275. I was using a Yamaha 4C but a Selmer C* came with the sax I bought.

Should I switch right now or wait?

I find the 4C mp easy to control and my tone is more smooth. The Selmer on the other hand causes difficulties for the notes under the C and the tone is different.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In all practicality, a Selmer C* is a beginners piece. If you are already using the Yamaha, stick with the Yamaha. I wouldn't make any changes to reeds or mpc's until you've really mastered the techniques you're learning, OR (very important or here), OR....you've reached a point where the mouthpiece is genuinely restricting an aspect of your play. Once you've gotten some other more important factors locked in, then experiment with mouthpieces and reeds to find something that defines your style, not just what you hear or see on these silly forums...=)

- Pat

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My 9 year old,who plays sop and alto,has played on C* mthpcs since she started at age 6. She played a C* on sop at 6 and used one when she started alto at age 7. The older daughter plays on Rouseau NC 3s(alto,tenor) and has used them since she started at age at 9(she's 11 now). I believe using a good hard rubber piece w/ a medium close tip is the way to go for a beginner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,495 Posts
Migraine777 said:
In all practicality, a Selmer C* is a beginners piece...
I'll have to tell that to my friend that has been playing a C* on a Mk VI since the '60s. I imagine her degrees in music performance and education will be null and void. :(

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Dr G said:
I'll have to tell that to my friend that has been playing a C* on a Mk VI since the '60s. I imagine her degrees in music performance and education will be null and void. :(
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! My youngest using C*s has a little bit of bite to her tone while her sister(the oldest) has a rounder fatter tone using Rousseuas. But the youngest uses Yanagisawas and the oldest uses big bore saxes(a keilwerth and a cannonball).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
An S80 C* is not a beginner mouthpiece. It just happens to be the mouthpiece that the vast majority of teachers have their students start on. I don't like them personally, but a lot of top quality classical saxophonists play them.

There is a problem with quality control though which is a big reason why I steer clear of them. That and I like a round chamber or the horseshoe chamber of the soloists.

Never played a 4C so I won't comment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dr G said:
Alright George, this is saxophone playing, there's always an exception to the rule. and I'm sure her C* is straight out of the box too, no modification, no nothing.....lol Uphill both ways in the snow right?..=)

- Pat

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,852 Posts
4C is a beginner piece, a C* is the standard classical piece - like it or not - not a beginner piece, and a good piece for beginners.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
The C* is the most forgiving mouthpiece made for Alto and Soprano. It is like the Honda cars; not always the most exciting, but will please MOST of the people. I started using one in 1964 and have used a Selmer D after that. When I taught college, I had many student use them or the C**. Most classical teachers and band directors like them as they are not offensive. Some people think they are dull but I have heard some fantastic classical and studio players use them. Go with the C* over the Yamaha. I think the Yamaha may be plastic whereas the Selmer is hard rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts