Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have bought, sold, and traded until I finally own the saxes I’ll be happy playing forever. In the process I ended up with a half dozen really nice instruments that I just couldn’t sell because I liked them so much. I used to play them all fairly regularly (except the sop), but I’ve noticed that I don’t do that anymore. My Tenor and backup Tenor are almost identical, and I don’t really need a backup Alto. The “extras” are not in the way, and I don’t particularly need the money right now. Should I keep them and hope they appreciate or sell them? Either way my window is 10 years give or take a couple of years. By then they have to go....

There’s a pair of Alto’s - A Buescher Big B, and a Conn NWII
There’s also some nice Tenors- A King S20, Selmer MK VI, and SA80II, and I also have a mint condition Yanigasawa Soprano (992 Curvy) with less than 5 hours on it.

What would you do?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If there is no need, I would hang on to them. I have a Selmer SSS that I almost never bring out and when I do I just want to play my Mark VII but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,425 Posts
I'm in a similar situation . . . almost 79, not playing much, and a closet full of neat saxophones and clarinets. If I don't do something about them, my heirs will do it for me . . . and not only musical instruments but all of the stuff we collect over the years, most of which means nothing to others.

My wife, two of my three children and three of my four grandsons are casual musicians and I suspect that when it is time, they will divvy up all the stuff, so the pressure is not too great - yet. The thought of trying to sell it all seems more daunting than just keeping it all. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,571 Posts
I’m still coping with the Stuff left by my parent’s estate - things that may have had some meaning to them, others not.

That experience led me to the same question as you pose. For me, the answer was to sell. I am down to two tenors, one alto, and one sop (as soon as the pending sale is completed). I also sold off my best guitars, acoustic and electric.

G’luck with finding what works best for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
I have come across several musicians which have started selling their horns while they were still alive because they didn’t want to burden their spouses or family with something that they have not real use for.

Sell what you don’t need and either enjoy the money yourself or put it into something which will be good to some of your dar ones, if they do need it then do put the money into some fund for young musicians in need.

Live a long and pleasant life. We are only here for a while might as well do it in style.

·
13,510 Posts
Take them out and play them if its been a while.

That may answer the question. You may decide to keep them all, sell a few and maybe keep a couple.

I would not sell them at low ball rates since you seem to have no dire need to get rid of them...so take your time.

If you do sell consider some sound investments for either the future in general or for future musical purchases.

I really recommend against selling thing if you are just going to just spend the cash on non specifics (unless of course, you NEED to) Money comes, money goes but important possessions continue to reap emotional and experiential dividends. If they give nothing back let them move on.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have come across several musicians which have started selling their horns while they were still alive because they didn’t want to burden their spouses or family with something that they have not real use for.

Sell what you don’t need and either enjoy the money yourself or put it into something which will be good to some of your dar ones, if they do need it then do put the money into some fund for young musicians in need.

Live a long and pleasant life. We are only here for a while might as well do it in style.
Yup.

·
13,510 Posts
I was debating giving advice to sell the S20

the VI is pretty much a sure thing

20's have hit a really high mark lately if they are of the "Desirable" range.

They went up so fast I wonder if its a bubble that should be taken advantage of now....but who knows. The vintage market is a bit of a guessing game.
If I had a 20 and I was pretty sure it was not something I was going to play I would entertain moving it in the near future...but Ive been known to be wrong about investments many times.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,180 Posts
What would you do?
Already done it. I sold my "collectors" horns that mostly sat on a shelf and kept only what I played along with back-ups of lesser value. My heirs never would have been able to get true value for them, and hey... it was right after a divorce. So the timing was right as well.

·
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was debating giving advice to sell the S20

the VI is pretty much a sure thing

20's have hit a really high mark lately if they are of the "Desirable" range.

They went up so fast I wonder if its a bubble that should be taken advantage of now....but who knows. The vintage market is a bit of a guessing game.
If I had a 20 and I was pretty sure it was not something I was going to play I would entertain moving it in the near future...but Ive been known to be wrong about investments many times.
Understood....

I’ve been wrong about investments pretty close to 100% of the time.....

Not surprising considering where I seek investment advice.... :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Another vote for yes.

I'm strongly against hoarding anything. If something doesn't get used in my house for a couple of months it gets sold.

Your collection isn't THAT big though. What I don't get is people who have 20-30+ instruments and they might play one of them once a year or so and only use a main one the rest of the time.

It actually boggles my mind.

Investment wise I'd also keep the VI and the Super20. Even just wait a few years and then see where prices are at.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Keep what you use, sell what you don't use. Instruments should be played, not hoarded.

Having lived frugally & never been particularly materialistic, I find myself nonetheless surrounded by a lifetime's accumulation of stuff that: gave me bragging rights; has already served its purpose; was a mistake; was kept for sentimental reasons; might perhaps have become useful eventually; is too much hassle to deal with; etcetera.

Now I have begun the tedious, wrenching task of selling, gifting, donating, recycling, or tossing out nonessentials. Less stuff in one's life equals less clutter in one's mind. Clarity, efficiency -- I like my new simpler self.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,457 Posts
I too am against hoarding. "Your possessions will possess you", my father-in-law used to say. I'm for selling what's not needed and let someone else feel the joy of owning them. They do no one any good sitting in a closet.

I also like the idea someone above had of putting the money in a trust for kids who need an instrument and can't afford one. I have a couple of instruments I'll never use, older student models, that I'll eventually get rid of. My two pro models are taken care of in my will so my wife or daughter won't have to deal with the decision of what to do with them.

When my dad died he had a house full of books, floor to ceiling in every room, six or seven broken down cars, a school bus, a partially built 50 foot sail boat hull, enough electronic gear to outfit a radio repair shop, and lots of old broken junk that I could recall growing up with in the 1950s and 60s. He could never throw anything away because it. 1. could be fixed 2. had some value 3. he might use it someday... I could go on. It was a minor form of hoarding. Some people are true collectors and like to own fine specimens of whatever it is they collect. Others like my dad have a million excuses for hanging onto every little thing they ever owned. I'm for cleaning house, making my life simpler, especially as I get older and have less energy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,571 Posts
I’m still coping with the Stuff left by my parent’s estate - things that may have had some meaning to them, others not.

That experience led me to the same question as you pose. For me, the answer was to sell. I am down to two tenors, one alto, and one sop (as soon as the pending sale is completed). I also sold off my best guitars, acoustic and electric.

G’luck with finding what works best for you.
P.S. A test to find out what matters is: If you didn’t already own it, would you buy it now? If the answer is “No”, it makes it easier to reconcile selling it.

I also use a “decision-making coin”. A toss of the coin - heads or tails - doesn’t make my decision, but if the coin toss outcome is disappointing, it helps reveal my deeper emotions.

·
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...snip....
^ This is some of it... maybe a lot of it. First my dad a couple of years ago - then my mom this Christmas... They left an amazing amount of “stuff” to deal with.

·
14,425 Posts
How do you feel about being left with all of that stuff? Do you have siblings to share the burden or is it all on you to deal with all of it?

No accusations, just curious because it is something that most of us will confront soon enough if we haven't already. And, we will be creating ourselves unless we go out the way we came in. DAVE

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been through the dealing-with-parents-stuff and I am moving to get rid of anything I no longer need or use. This is a work in progress, but I am making headway.

I also follow the "coin toss" method- if the outcome does not please you, then it is the wrong answer.

I keep some stuff that has some memories, otherwise I am paring back to basics. I'm new to the saxophone scene, but I am avoiding acquiring too much to begin with. This is not easy!🙄

So, if you don't need it, let it be used by someone else, sell it on or pass it on.

·
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do you feel about being left with all of that stuff? Do you have siblings to share the burden or is it all on you to deal with all of it?
...snip....

Thankfully I have my loving wife to help...Timing is everything I guess - I don’t want her to to have to deal with my stuff later, but I’m hoping to live quite a bit longer.

And while I do have siblings, they’re not really in a position to help...

It will all work out in the end I’m sure.

edit:

Delete

Delete

Delete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Overwhelmed is how I feel.

The truth is -
The actual odds of me selling a saxophone anytime soon are low...because it’s not just my moms stuff that’s overwhelming.

Yes there are siblings.

Sister 1: older and has Alzheimer’s
Sister 2:also older and has Parkinson’s
Brother: Younger and Newly diagnosed with FTP Dementia and suddenly living with ME because there is no one else left....I’ve got all his stuff to deal with too (including debt, a house, a greedy ex who’s already cleaned him out, and a cat) - Considering Alzheimer’s got my mom and dad, I hope I can even remember to feel bad about it later. My life is a ****ing country song and i play the sax. How ironic is that?

Thankfully my wife of 25 years says my brain is as sharp as ever.

At least I think she said that.

Surprisingly I have been playing sax (and lurking here) more than ever in recent weeks. SOTW is both a friendly community and a quiet distraction - and playing music...well....need I say more? Short of death or sex, it’s the ultimate escape.

(And whiskey)

This post will self destruct in the morning...
Both of my known Grandparents suffered from Alzheimer's and Bouts of Cancer. Feel for you man. I'm starting to see the signs creeping up in my 65 year old mom and don't really know what to do with it.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts