Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking input - I have a really nice 1951 SBA tenor that is probably one of the better playing and looking original lacquer SBAs you are going to find. The horn is a blast to play, but I have a VI tenor that I always prefer to play and ever since I bought that particular VI, the SBA sits in the closet. I'm in a situation where I don't need the money and I have room to store the horn, but I almost feel guilty because that horn is so great and it's not out there getting played. I bought the horn cheap enough that I know I won't lose money on it in a sale, so that's not a concern either. I also don't view the horn as an investment, it's more of a really nice toy.

Keep or sell.......What would you do and why?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Wow tough decision..... I know the horns that I have I would have trouble selling, I sold a Barone tenor that I had awhile back because of the same basic reasons that I still regret selling, even though they may not be played often they still offer a lot of enjoyment ( even if only as eye candy ) anyway good luck with your decision

·
Registered
718 Posts
Buyer's remorse is about two weeks. Seller's remorse is forever.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i had a lovely vintage alto that I never played and I sold it a few months ago.
I have no regrets at all!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Seeking input - I have a really nice 1951 SBA tenor that is probably one of the better playing and looking original lacquer SBAs you are going to find. The horn is a blast to play, but I have a VI tenor that I always prefer to play and ever since I bought that particular VI, the SBA sits in the closet. I'm in a situation where I don't need the money and I have room to store the horn, but I almost feel guilty because that horn is so great and it's not out there getting played. I bought the horn cheap enough that I know I won't lose money on it in a sale, so that's not a concern either. I also don't view the horn as an investment, it's more of a really nice toy.

Keep or sell.......What would you do and why?
Interesting...I'm in a very similar situation, except both horns are relaqs...Had both these horns for less than two years, both overhauled - 43xxx SBA got cheap, 87xxx VI paid market value. I'm enjoying the VI more at least at this point. I have contemplated selling the SBA...in the end I have decided to keep it.

My SBA was one of those finds that seemed to come from the sax gods. I bought it for a great price, in a church basement, from the original owner, Bill. If I sell it I'll never have another one, and it's an amazing horn. I think I would regret selling it. I'm kinda thinking that some day I may may sell it to an aspiring saxophonist for a great price...pass it on kind thing...Or maybe my taste will change, and I'll play it. Once its gone, its gone.

My vote is for don't sell...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Maybe you could trade it or sell it to fund another horn you would enjoy playing? I’ve not yet regretted selling a saxophone but I’ve often regretted not buying a horn when the opportunity arises. If there are no other horns you’re interested in replacing it with I’d personally just keep it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
If you gig or perform you are going to need a back-up and guess what? You're already sitting on the two most desired tenor saxes the world will ever know. My back-up is a Selmer USA. Would I love to be able to take a BA out whenever I felt like it? I don't see selling it as a valid option, and as far as 'feeling guilty about somebody else not being able to play it', please get over that. Sooner or later you'll stop playing and they can have it then. Personally I would like to put the BA in a good spot near a roaring fireplace, sit down with an aged single-malt Scotch and just look at it for an hour or so.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Keep it! Your perspective changes over the years. If you sell it I guarantee you’ll regret it down the line.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If it's a blast to play and you're not in a financial bind, I'd keep it. Worst case scenario you can always sell it later down the line, and they'll only increase in value.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I would like to put the BA in a good spot near a roaring fireplace, sit down with an aged single-malt Scotch and just look at it for an hour or so.
Now you're talking! The SBA is the prettiest design of any horn I've seen, it truely is a work of art......and it plays well too.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Wow tough decision..... I know the horns that I have I would have trouble selling, I sold a Barone tenor that I had awhile back because of the same basic reasons that I still regret selling, even though they may not be played often they still offer a lot of enjoyment ( even if only as eye candy ) anyway good luck with your decision
There’s quite of bit of difference between selling a Chinese sax and an SBA, like about 10 grand, more or less. You could replace a Barone tomorrow, but an original lacquer SBA...
I don’t know your economic status but I don’t assume everybody on here is pauper. If you can’t buy another and may regret selling it, don’t do it.
Most SBAs I’ve tried sounded similar to my Mark VI. I went back a step and got a BA which sounds a lot different than my Mark VI. It’s seems each model of Selmer gets progressively darker.
What about trying some other saxes before you sell? You could use it as trade bait for another good Mark VI or something else.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts