Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a RIA 8 Stainless steel Alto MP. The sound I'm getting is a little too bright for my taste, and its pretty hard to control, high B and above. I can't seem to find any of these mouthpieces for sell anywhere, so should I get a different mouthpiece, or would it be worth it to send it off to be adjusted/refaced.

Thanks--Josh

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I vote for a different mouthpiece.
What genre do you play. What sound are you hearing inside that needs to get out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound I'm want to have is Coltrane-esque , but on Alto, and less harsh, darker I guess, but not really smooth and still full of resonance.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
There will be lots of debate on this, but I think you might want a Lamberson SB, or RPC. Not cheap, but great pieces.

Other choices would be Jodyjazz DV, or Jodyjazz HR*, Barone NY, or Morgan.

Or get a stock Meyer, have it redone by John Reilly.
It all depends on $$.

Or you could do Allard or Teal longtone exercizes.

It's a complicated question.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The more I try different mouthpieces the more I am becoming a believer in playing a middle of the road, basic type set up. Try a Meyer 6, the alto standard, and experiment a little with reeds. I think a standard, middle of the road type set up will allow you to shape the sound to your liking more than something that is extremely open or has a high baffle. Just my opinion.

·
Distinguished Member
935 Posts
A lot of guys seem to frown on them but I've been having great luck with a Link STM. I've also got a Master Link opened to 7* otw I can report on later. But if you want a darker sound this is definitely darker than the Lamberson or Meyer. Much fatter, too, imo. I don't know why they get a bad rap, also a lot of alto greats played them. Bird (I know he played everything, but he played Link a LOT) Jackie McLean, Sonny Stitt, Ornette Coleman. I like this kind of alto sound, fat, muscular, farther away from the Phil Woods camp...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Definitely do not pay to have a stainless steel mpc refaced. I'd go with a Meyer 6M or similar (Morgan). Morgans Excalibur may be good starting point. Though I tend to agree with TJS, I play a Meyer 6M on alto.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Don't worry about refacing until you've got 7 to 10 years of hard playing behind you. Too many amateurs (i.e. non pros) on here think they need a refaced mouthpiece because it's the new hip thing to do (and brag about!) on SOTW. Just work on getting a decent tone on a stock mouthpiece before worrying about a professional refacing. That's what guys like Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins used to do. I think they probably had a few years of playing logged before they had a piece refaced.

I don't play alto but I hear good things about the Barone vintage HR ("Meyer Killer") pieces.

Also a very prominent player/seller on here whose privacy I will honor recently told me that he's gone with a JD Hite mouthpiece on alto, and that it's far better than other pieces that cost 3 times as much. It's not the cheap one, it's their more expensive model--the Artist, perhaps?

Good luck!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I also go along with getting a different mpc vs refacing, although I disagree with the comments above regarding refacing and that it's more trendy than effective.

Here's an unusual (for SOTW) suggestion - a Meyer metal.
Since you're used to the profile and feel of a metal mpc why not stick with that? I know an alto player who plays one of these and she gets a great sound out of it. Or if you've got the loot, check out a Jody Jazz ESP. That might also be up your alley.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thats true about playing on a basic set-up until you have more experience. That said, I think back to all the years I spent playing on a stuffy meyer and I wonder if that contributed to the formation of some bad habits, like biting and not playing relaxed. Not that you have to go the route of a custom mouthpiece, something like a Vandoren V16 is a good bet that it will be a good playing piece out of the box, try a 6S facing in those...and they're relatively cheap also...

ving

·
Registered
640 Posts
John_Dikeman said:
A lot of guys seem to frown on them but I've been having great luck with a Link STM. I've also got a Master Link opened to 7* otw I can report on later. But if you want a darker sound this is definitely darker than the Lamberson or Meyer. Much fatter, too, imo. I don't know why they get a bad rap, also a lot of alto greats played them. Bird (I know he played everything, but he played Link a LOT) Jackie McLean, Sonny Stitt, Ornette Coleman. I like this kind of alto sound, fat, muscular, farther away from the Phil Woods camp...
I'd have to say Phil Wood's tone is fatter/more muscular than all those listed. Just my 2 cents...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Meyer 6M should be close. I used one for years but switched to a Selmer Super Session. Both are not too expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts