Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer the freedom of being wireless so the USB would not be my preference. I don't want the onboard sounds on the 5000. The Patchman sounds have a place but are not for me at the moment. I would be interested in using a DAW or getting the SWAM Clarinets and wireless midi as shown in this video.

http://youtu.be/3RGQAGOYdBM?t=1m25s

If I would not be using the onboard sounds I gather much of the additional features on the 5000 would go unused. I can not tell if the midi improvements on the 5000 would make a difference or if these are a significant benefit. If I got a 5000 and wanted wireless midi I'd be getting a wireless midi transmitter which bypasses the internal transmitter on the 5000 and that appears awkwardly redundant to me. When practicing alone the usb from the 5000 or Akai USB does have an appeal to directly plug in without a transmitter and reduce the possible latency (if I understand it). I'd like to use it for electronic sounds like a lightsaber and acoustic sounds like a vibraphone or flute. I read there is a foot pedal channel or signal for software synths like the SWAM Clarinet which are missing when playing the 4000s. I've read the MIDI to Usb adapter cable looses MIDI information.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
They guy in the video is using a 4000S.

From what I understand, the wireless in the 5000 is just for audio, not for midi. If you want to use wireless midi, you'll have to get a transmitter.

The 4000S and the 5000 use standard midi connections. You can see it on both, the 5000 only has an out. The 5000 can also do Midi over USB. Other than that, what "midi improvements" are there? I can't find any. I've never heard of Midi to USB losing MIDI information.

Latency? That is going to depend on what you hook it into. If you have a laptop and use it's sound card, you are going to hear a slight delay. It might not bother you, or it might bug the crap out of you. You would probably want to get some sort of zero latency sound module to play sounds out of.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To be free of cables connected to a wind controller has been a wish of mine ever since I got the WX7 back in the day. No longer a dream, the EWI 5000 fulfills that wish. The freedom of just picking up the instrument, powering up, and walking around the room playing is absolutely liberating! I have found 75 of the 100 presets acceptable or even inspirational thanks to Matt Traum's setup of the User Bank at Patchman Music. Latency is a non-issue for me - I find it better than the EWI USB with a MacBook Pro. Yes it is wireless audio and not MIDI, just samples and not a synth, but I ask you: what's your price for freedom?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The freedom to jump around and move with the music makes it feel better to play. If there isn't any difference between the midi information sent from a 4000s & the 5000 then the 4000s is what I'm getting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts