·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question prompted by the rash of Albert clarinet postings. :TGNCHK:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Yes. Just stay out of heavy traffic and don't exceed 40mph for any length of time. And for heaven's sakes, don't rig the thing up with speakers and play corny banjo music at people. (I knew someone who owned a Model A and actually did this.)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
Sure, why not! Perfect for a sunny Sunday afternoon drive.
Those OOGA horns are a hoot!

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, I was offered one in good condition for $40 in the mid-1950s. It even included seven tires. The temptation vanished the first time I used those mechanical brakes. Holy $#it!

·
7,107 Posts
The mechanical brakes are ok as long as you remember to anticipate your stops by about 6 blocks...........................................:stop:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I've had the opportunity to drive a Model A in several parades. Those things run just as good as most pre-war cars. And they will easily cruse at about 60 miles per hours. However, I've also driven a T-model. Now there's your 40 mile per hour car. And it shifts like a bicycle. And heaven forbid you leave the engine running while the car is not moving or it will overheat because it has NO water pump. I've driven go-carts that were better cars than that. But again, the Model A is a better and completely different beast.

I also think it is unfair to compare a Buescher True Tone to a Model A Ford. I think of a True Tone should instead be compared to a 1923 Duesenberg Model A Phaeton. Both were the best America had to offer:

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the Buescher True Tone is a real Doozy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Psssst, that's actually a Model J.

I laughed when I saw the remark about who would say a model T is fit for today's roads...I know someone who drives one DAILY (including on lower speed highways).

Model A's are quite a different beast all together...and I've run into more than a few that drive them on a daily basis.

Mechanical brakes aren't bad at all (provided they're actually set up by someone who knows what they're doing!). Both my Pierce Arrow's have mechanical brakes...and they both weigh in at over 5,000 lbs (as one ad I have says: 'Five thousand pounds of road hugging weight!').

If you want to get into fun brakes, my Henney has external contracting drum brakes :twisted:.

·
5,528 Posts
Psssst, that's actually a Model J.
You know your cars. The website where I stole the photo said is was a Model A. But a further looks shows it is indeed the fabled Model J from around 1930. It's still a great comparison to the late True Tone.

·
7,107 Posts
The T didn't have a water pump (or any number of other goodies) because you were supposed to accessorize it yourself. There was a whole after-market industry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also think it is unfair to compare a Buescher True Tone to a Model A Ford. I think of a True Tone should instead be compared to a 1923 Duesenberg Model A Phaeton. Both were the best America had to offer..........
Well, both TrueTones and the model A Fords were produced in high numbers, whereas your Duesenberg ...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Of course not. They are older so therefore they belong in the garbage heap, just like all vintage horns.[rolleyes]

·
5,528 Posts
Of course not. They are older so therefore they belong in the garbage heap, just like all vintage horns.[rolleyes]
Them's fighten' words there!!!:mrgreen:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
The T didn't have a water pump (or any number of other goodies) because you were supposed to accessorize it yourself. There was a whole after-market industry.
The model T truck didn't have a fuel pump. That's why the gas tank is mounted high behind the cab. It fed by gravity. My grandfather told me that he had to turn around and back it up steep hills to get a good enough angle for the fuel to continue to feed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
You know your cars. The website where I stole the photo said is was a Model A. But a further looks shows it is indeed the fabled Model J from around 1930. It's still a great comparison to the late True Tone.
I just wish I had the extra million or two (or three :|) laying around to buy one!

Even though I'm not a huge T fan, the type of after market stuff you could get for them always has interested me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That's it. I'm trading my 2009 Honda Civic for a Model T. And I absolutely must have the snowmobile attachment for these crazy New England winters! :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's it. I'm trading my 2009 Honda Civic for a Model T. And I absolutely must have the snowmobile attachment for these crazy New England winters!
Don't know why, but the snowmobile attachment sort of reminds me of the microtuner on my Conn 6M... :mrgreen:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
This question prompted by the rash of Albert clarinet postings. :TGNCHK:
Oh, I don't know. The Vienna Phil still clarinetists still uses Oehler system. They sound great!

·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... but they don't use Albert system clarinets. That's progress.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts