Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! today was my birthday, and as a gift, my sister bought me a $100 Mastercard gift card. While thinking of what i would do with my new-found "wealth", i stumbled upon an old memory from about a year ago. My teacher is a clarinet and sax player, and we were having a discussion about doubling. This was when i first picked up the Eb clarinet. I remembered him saying that "once i'm on the right track with clarinet, we should work on my flute chops." apparently, he was also a flute player/teacher. He said the flute isn't "the most difficult instrument in the world" and he said "if you really plan to make a living through music, it makes sense to play as many of the basic winds as you can." which got me thinking about starting flute. I slowly forgot about the idea and figured i would concentrate more on clarinet. Now im back, and im staring at an Etude Student Flute on WWBW for exactly $99. This instrument has gotten nothing but great reviews as far as i could find. "perfect for the beginning flautist". what should i do? I am a clarinet freak- i play Bass clarinet, Bb clarinet, and Eb clarinet. I used to play saxophone, but dropped it after i lost interest in jazz. I have the money. what should i do?? i feel like i may be thinking about this simply because i'm bored and have nothing better to do, or maybe it's seriously a good investment to start doubling flute. I think it would make more sense to put the money towards an A clarinet, which usually cost around $1000. any ideas??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
It never hurts to double, unless: Is it your goal to become a classical clarinetist and compete for a symphony chair at some point in your future? For that goal, the training will be more than rigorous and the competition you will face will be very strong. You may be best off devoting all of your energy to the clarinet, with a possible double on bass clarinet. Of course, at some point you will need an A clarinet. Other than that, you will get more gigs doubling sax and flute, than any other combo. For pit and studio work you will be best off with the saxes, clarinet and flute, and maybe a double reed thrown in.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I agree with the previous posters that the flute is an excellent double, but I wouldn't be in a rush to part with the $100 you have. If you keep an eye out, you might be able to score a used Yamaha 221 (or similar) for a little more than $100, and that is probably going to be a much better instrument. I've got one that I take to dicey big band gigs, and it plays very well.

Also, I should give you a heads-up that I'm upgrading my A clarinet, and will probably put my E-11 up for sale in the next couple of weeks. It plays very well and it'll be well under the $1000 you're expecting to pay, so if you're thinking you might need one in the near future, hit me up via PM and let's see if we can work something out.

Oh, and happy birthday!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
No, you should not double on flute.
You will hyperventilate, your fingers and embouchure will always be confused, and if you get that really cheap flute from WWBW... It's going to turn your lip funny colors.
You can probably find a decent Armstrong 104 for around $100, or save a little longer and get a nice little Yamaha.
I know that gift card is burning a hole in your pocket, but take your time and do a little more shopping.

·
3,841 Posts
I think you should get a flute over an A clarinet. There's way more flute gigs than A clarinet gigs.
Using that line of logic, you should probably dump woodwinds altogether and take up a rhythm instrument.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
"your fingers and embouchure will always be confused, and if you get that really cheap flute from WWBW... It's going to turn your lip funny colors. "

I don't agree with any of that either. Flute will never interfere with established clarinet playing. Clarinet playing will interfere with flute embouchure unless you give that flute embouchure its just desert practice-wise, and also practice changing from one instrument to the other.
But:
1. Flute may be an easy enough instrument to learn to play nursery rhymes and hymns, but playing in the third octave (with its complicated fingerings), as flute does a lot, with control of pitch and volume and tone, is a huge challenge, with nothing in common with anything you have done on clarinet. Do not expect that to be easy. Your experience on clarinet will probably make that more difficult than for a flute player starting from scratch. You may get away with poor embouchure with those nursery rhymes, but will have to totally correct it fro the third octave. So be warned...

2. If you want to double on flute, then get a flute teacher, at least for those embouchure-forming first few lessons. (Extra important for this instrument, compared with reeds.)
If you cannot get a teacher, then consider the following, which have helped quite a few in this forum:
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/FluteLessons2.html
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/FluteLessons.html
3. If you buy a new flute for the sort of price you are looking at, there is an excellent chance, that the first time it needs servicing, which may well be within weeks or even straight away, it will simply not be worth servicing, because every part the technician touches will need attention, and be reluctant to respond to that attention, in order to get any sort of reliability. There are exceptions of course, but it is really hit and miss whether you will land one that is OK. If you can manage to get a foolish, risk taking technician (such as my good optimistic self) to actually work on it, then realistically expect servicing within the first few years to cost a lot more than what you paid for the flute. An d if you decide to sell it, the value will be close to zero. Also, don't take any notice of any advertising claims. In general, the more that is claimed... the more endorsements the agent feels he has to provide, the more you should smell a rat! This sort of situation is very comkmon: http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulleti...fraid!!&p=320533&highlight=piccolo#post320533

So....

4. Save your money until you can afford a second hand Yamaha. It is likely to need minimum servicing, will play with far more player satisfaction, and be worth just as much as you paid if you decide to sell it in a year or two.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,309 Posts
Ok, I think the sarcasm flew over your heads....

Didn't you guys read to the end of the post where I suggested that our young friend wait and look for flute of better quality?

·
3,841 Posts
I dunno... I thought your warning about hyperventilation is spot on. That's why my first flute teacher recommended I practice on my bed until I got over the light-headedness.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I'm a flute player who doubles on sax. I tried a clarinet and thought: When and where will I play this?. So I sold it af a short while. Sax does tear up flute chops. I can't imagine how clarinet wouldn't also. Flute like any instrument has it's unique charms and challenges.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'm a flute player who doubles on sax. I tried a clarinet and thought: When and where will I play this?. So I sold it af a short while. Sax does tear up flute chops. I can't imagine how clarinet wouldn't also. Flute like any instrument has it's unique charms and challenges.
I think sax has made my flute playing much stronger and better I disagree . I play Clarinet flute and sax with no problems

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, you should not double on flute.
You can probably find a decent Armstrong 104 for around $100, or save a little longer and get a nice little Yamaha.
I know that gift card is burning a hole in your pocket, but take your time and do a little more shopping.
i found an Armstrong 104 flute for $70 on a website called Pawnmart.com what do you think??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts