Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a Selmer Mark VI 137*** and I know it has some leaks (think it's four leaks) but the horn has been working great anyway but now I started to have intonation issues that I haven't had before, so I guess it's the leaks who's causing that. I bought the horn six months ago and I haven't brought it to my tech yet. But now I feel that it's time for that but I don't know how much I should ask him to do. The pads have platsic resonators and looks nice except the pads that leaks but it looks like that many of the toneholes are pretty uneven. The marks on some of the pads aren't round and it feels like some of them are uneven. Should I do a total overhaul? If I do the overhaul I will ask him to put on pads with metalresonators. When I did that with my old sax it felt great and big sounding, it was a wondeful feeling to know that my sax was as good as it could be. My summergigs will make me afford an total overhaul and I am playing very much, practising between six and nine hours almost every day so I don't think I would feel like I spent my money on something unnecessery. My tech is pretty cheap to, do you think it's unnecessery with an total overhaul.

Sorry if my english isn't the best/ Linus

·
Registered
260 Posts
I say to bring the horn to the tech and let him fix the leaks. If you are having more issues after having the leaks fixed then you can make the decision to repad or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
If I do the overhaul I will ask him to put on pads with metal resonators. When I did that with my old sax it felt great and big sounding, it was a wondeful feeling to know that my sax was as good as it could be.
Metal resonators are not better - just different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If the pads are old and leaking, then it's probably best to go for a complete overhaul. If you have the toneholes levelled your repairer might have trouble getting the old pads to seat on them as they're probably all hardened, dried out and out of shape, so best to go with all new pads (and all new key felts and corks as it's a total overhaul) once the tonehole levelling has been done.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Consider the source limpan ...
4 significant leaks to me is alot of leaks, so there's probably more ...
If he can definitively just fix the 4 leaks and then everything is cool, then so be it.
But if you do a repad, ou might as well have the works ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts