Sax on the Web Forum banner

Should I Craigslist my Jody Jazz HR 6m?

3K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Grumps 
#1 ·
So I bought a JJ HR 6M And unfortunately i was not impressed at all. Its too loud, too buzzy and nowhere near the sound I was trying to achieve. I'm probably going to sell it for maybe 90ish. The gold paint in the lettering has worn off, but otherwise it's totally clean. I'm going to use the money to buy something with a little more smoothness and Desmond like sound quality. So I was thinking of a Jody Jazz Classic or a Phil-tone piece. Should I sell or keep it and try to work things out with the mouthpiece? It has potential, but maybe its not for me:dontknow:

#2 ·
A jodyjazz classic is a fairly bright, buzzy kind of piece, probably a step in the wrong direction. The HR*s on alto I find to be a fairly bright meyer style piece, maybe you should try something like a Meyer G (modeled after the Desmond sound). If you want to try a little more with the Jodyjazz, you should try some different reeds, maybe a harder strength than you're used to.

#11 ·
Yes, I have played the Classic and the HR*. You might even try a stock Meyer, I find them to be darker than many of Meyer copy pieces on the market, and pretty cheap too. Otto Link mouthpieces can be nice on alto too, and are generally darker than Meyers. Links and Meyers are very inconsistent however, so if you were to order them from WWBW you may want to get a few, to make sure to get a good one. Good luck!

#6 ·
If possible, try "hands on" as many different ones as you can before buying another one. I know in some places this is a problem. With some online companies you can try one and return it but have to pay shipping and maybe a restocking fee. But might be worth it to find a piece you really like. In my own experience, I've sometimes put a mouthpiece away for a while and come back to it later and tried again. As my skills have improved and my embouchure has developed over time I find I'm more able to adapt to a wider range of mouthpieces. Good luck!

#7 ·
If your looking for the "Desmond" sound, I would seriously consider Phil-Tone West Coast model. Just contact him, and ask about it. Phil is a great guy, very knowledgeable and won't push you into a purchase.

#18 ·
Offer your piece for trade with other members of the site in the Marketplace here with the following conditions:
1) Only trade with members here who have been here long enough to establish a good reputation.
2) Insist upon pictures of the mouthpieces offered to you in trade; and
3) Avoid refaced, repaired and/or altered mouthpieces and make certain you inquire as to same.

If you get a mouthpiece that doesn't work for you, you can try trading it for another one. This may not be the quick and easy way, but it can save you money in the long run. I picked up many of my favorite mouthpieces that I still use regularly in this manner.

#23 ·
Yes, but get your parents' permission first and understand the ground rules. Usually how it works is that both parties exchange mouthpieces via mail (insured) and ship at the same time. It's not done on approval, unless you agree prior to the exchange, and you live with the consequences (which is why it's important to both insist upon and provide detailed photos so no one is misled).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.