Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! As the title says I'd like to get some advice on a 1936 lady face tenor. I'm going to try one out 3 days from now and would like some advice on what to look for specifically when I try it. What are the pros and cons of the lady face? Right now I'm playing on a martin - the tenor from 57/58, which I like very much. I've always wanted a lady face though. Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
Some basics, which you may already know: You'll take your own mouthpiece & reed(s) for the try-out. Take an electronic tuner also. You might also want to take some teflon tape and something to cut it with. This is in case your mouthpiece fits loosely on the cork. Winding some teflon tape on it will allow your mouthpiece to seal properly so that you can better test the intonation and performance of the sax. If the neck fits too loosely into the socket, you can use teflon tape there too.

You know to check the pads; for $2800, I would expect new or near-new. You will want to be sure they all seat properly.

About Lady Face tenors: There are actually two Conn models of Lady Face tenors in 1936. The 10M is the more common one, and probably the one you will be trying. Conn also made the 30M, which was a fancier version of the 10M. The 30M has fancier engraving, silver touchpoints, and extra adjusting screws. If the one you are looking at is a 30M, you will want to make sure that all those extra screws are there and working.

For either one, you will want to be sure that it plays low D and lower notes well. These are known to "warble" down there if the adjustment is sub-par. This is fixable, so long as there is no physical damage to the holes. These horns have rolled tone holes. Make sure that they haven't been badly filed in a poor attempt at leveling.

For $2800, the overall condition should be very good. You will want to know if it has been relacquered. Is the engraving nice and sharp? ($2800 seems high for a relacq 10M, unless it was very well done.)

Be sure the neck has not suffered any serious damage.

There should be no signs of past significant damage or repairs. Look for solder spots, dents, etc. Here's what a really nice one should look like: https://www.getasax.com/product/conn-10m-pre-war-1936-fresh-overhaul/

It will feel different from your Martin, but you can get used to that, so long as it's reasonably comfortable. (Some people with small hands have had trouble with older Conns.)

Do you like the sound? That's the most important thing.

If it is really good condition, $2800 is an OK price. If it is not in really good condition, but you like it, try to get the price down.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
2800 is way too high...I sold a 10M on here with new pads in great condition...266xxx for $1500. It was a very good horn!...Try to talk him down...Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,944 Posts
Without the context of location, it is not possible to say it that is a good deal for the OP's locale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I’d think it would need to be pretty good at that price.
Recent proper overhaul and reasonably dent free.
I personally think if a relacquer it is too much whether done well or not.
These can be very nice players though and if resale isn’t a big issue, the price may be reasonable.
Depending of course on the condition, which we know nothing about.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
My favourite tenor is a Conn 10M from 1937. Great horn. I'd buy this 1936 horn, if it's an early 10M in good playing order, but I'd negotiate the price down. Here in Australia, unless they're in pristine original condition, these horns sell for the equivalent of US$2,000.00, maximum, and US prices are lower than Australian, because there's more choice.

As Dr G pointed out, we don't know where you are, so we can't make an accurate estimate of what you should be paying. A re-reading of your original post suggests to me that you're in Europe; even if so, US$2,800 might be almost "reasonable," given that European prices with VAT running around 21% can be pretty high ! I say "almost" because that price, if it includes VAT, suggests a base price of something over US$2,300, which is still too high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help! Good to know about the low notes and that there is a 30m series, didn't know that. The one I'm trying out is a 10m though. I live in Sweden and it seems that the prices here are a bit higher over all when it comes to saxophones than in for ex USA. When I've looked at the pictures it looks really nice. No relaq and seems to be in top condition. Also, it's just been reparied/serviced. I'll get back to you when I've played on it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried it out and I bought it! The saxophone was in really good condition except for the neck, it was a bit bent, but it can be fixed quite easily. Negotiated the price down, mainly because of the neck. Got it for approx. 2300 usd which, in Sweden, is a fair price for such a good horn. It's beautiful and I love the sound of it. I also bought a Morgan Excalibur mouthpiece from the US that I tried out, it should arrive in a couple of days. Thanks for the tips, it helped a lot!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Congrats on your new horn! I bet it is a beast. These prices are common here in Europe for a Conn in good condition.
And bent necks are an easy fix for a good tech. Now you have two beasts in your stable. I never tried a Morgan Ex but what I
have read about them is that they are excellent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts