Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found another Conn Tenor at the music store. I attempted to play, but some of the pads on the top stack were too thick, causing leaks. It said it was a 10M, and the S/N is 181XXX L, and it has rolled tone holes. Is this in fact a 10M, and would $1600 be too much to pay if it isn't, and I like the way it sounds once they get it adjusted. Another questionable thing about this horn is the neck. It is the 10M style neck, but if it might not match the horn. They have another conn with the underslung neck that I could probably get if it goes with the horn
+JY

·
Registered
706 Posts
this would be a new wonder II (chu berry) not a 10m, some people really like those. 1600$ would be ok if it was in good condition (not relaquered or anything)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to tell if it is relacquer. I suppose I could ask the shop owner, but he doesn't seem like the most honest guy.
+JY

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Technically, all Conn tenors were designated as 10Ms, but .. the previous
poster is also correct in that that vintage is a New Wonder II; true.

Is the horn lacquered or [silver]-plated ?

If it's lacquered, and you have the $1600 to spend, I might look elsewhere,as
you can very likely get a better deal for less.

If you can save a few more hundred you could get a silverplated tenor - not
that it's necessarily a better horn, but it will hold it's value better on resale.

Maybe, you should shop around a bit more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
YPYAJ said:
It said it was a 10M, and the S/N is 181XXX L, and it has rolled tone holes.
It had "10M" stamped on it? If so, that serial number is probably 281,XXX. If not, as others have chimed in, sounds like a Chu. Chu's didn't come in lacquer back then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts