Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

In this cold and wintery place that is Norway, every now and then a Mark VI shows up on the local marketplace. Finally I have arrived at one that isn't sold, but I will have to act quickly to get it.

According to the seller, the serial number puts it from -67. He's selling the horn because he quit playing alto completely. Of course if this was next door I would try it, but unfortunately I can't since he lives in the far north of the country. He is however offering to mail it to me and let me play it for two weeks before I make my decision, if we freeze the money in a safe account. He wants the equivalent of 3470 U.S. dollars for the horn.

Here are some pictures (the case is included in the price):
http://finncdn.no/mmo/2012/3/vertical-5/20/0/338/564/50_1598795619.jpg
http://finncdn.no/mmo/2012/3/vertical-5/20/0/338/564/50_1415762434.jpg
http://finncdn.no/mmo/2012/3/vertical-5/20/0/338/564/50_1188844845.jpg
http://finncdn.no/mmo/2012/3/vertical-5/20/0/338/564/50_1832808222.jpg

I am currently playing a Yamaha Custom EX from early 2000s. I play mainly classical, but I'm also making the transition into jazz.

So what do you say, is this a good deal? Could I sell my EX, or should I keep it for the classical stuff?

- Cheers, Erik :space2:

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
That is considered one of the best, if not the best, years for VI altos, esp. with the MARK VI stamp on the upper body tube. Cannot tell from photos whether original or relacquered, but appears to be a very good deal. Only sell the EX if this turns out to be a great fit for your classical needs -- it will likely be a very good jazz horn.

Wish that were here on my local Craigslist -- I'd buy it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your speedy reply! My gut is definitely telling me to at least check this horn out.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
......He is however offering to mail it to me and let me play it for two weeks before I make my decision, if we freeze the money in a safe account............
I'm not saying that the seller is a scammer, but I can tell you that many scams include the idea of a "safe account" in which money will be held, but in the end the "safe account" ends up being safe only for the seller.

If I were selling my Mark VI alto sax, I can promise you that I would not offer to mail it to anyone and let them play it for two weeks before they make their decision. Why would the seller want to do this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,826 Posts
I agree.

EDIT - I agree with DrakeProf that it sounds like a good deal, I don't think this is a scam per se

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the safe account in this case is not created by neither me nor the seller, but the marketplace itself. I have tried the system before when buying a used smartphone, and it works great and is reliable. Until the two parties agree, the money is untouchable.

Maybe this guy's just really nice. (And his wife told him to get rid of the thing.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,376 Posts
If I were selling my Mark VI alto sax, I can promise you that I would not offer to mail it to anyone and let them play it for two weeks before they make their decision. Why would the seller want to do this?
On the other hand, people frequently sell a horn and give some brief trial period to check out the horn.

This makes me consider my upcoming sales of a few high end guitars - I don't want to appear so accommodating and caring that people consider me a scammer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, seeing as I won't get to try the horn in any other way than having it shipped to my location, it makes sense. I would never buy a horn without playing it first.

And as mentioned above, the account will definitely be safe. It is an official system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts