Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right baritone nuts:
Low A Baritones, P Mauriat 301GL or a Couf Superba I. Which would you get if these were your options? The Mauriat is about 2200 more expensive.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,463 Posts
All right baritone nuts:
Low A Baritones, P Mauriat 301GL or a Couf Superba I. Which would you get if these were your options? The Mauriat is about 2200 more expensive.
I love the Mauriat horns, but I'd still take the Couf here!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,725 Posts
Yep I'm planning on buying the couf, was just flirting with the idea of a new horn. Thanks all!
If you’re buying it, it’s new to you!

Invest some of the money you are saving into getting it regulated and free of leaks.

Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,646 Posts
Money wise, it makes sense to buy a Keilwerth/Couf however I have heard at least two players on P.Mauriat and the horn was great. Longevity is really not a problems since this brand has been existing for many years now and there is no reason to think that it wouldn’t play for another 100 years.

A Low A Keilwerth can easily run into €3000 and probably be worth as much at any stage after that. However P,Mauriat is also a valuable and expensive horn.

I would try them both.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The newer low Bb P. Mauriat bari I have is my favorite. Conn, Martin, Bundy, Yanigasawa, and Yamaha baritones have worked fine for me but the new PM one is just so much more fun to play. On the other hand, haven’t played a Couf bari but have a Keilwerth MKX tenor that one of my all time keepers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
Having played both, and owning a Superba II stencil, my vote is for the Keilwerth. The stack keys are more comfortable, and the overall build quality is better. The Superba has a wonderful boomy low end, and the upper range of the horn has this wonderful midrange sparkle to it. I wanted to like the Cannonball bari more than I did. It's a perfectly adequate horn, and maybe that's the problem. Nothing really jumped out at me. Odder yet is the mechanism. Once again, it looks fine, and it's a typical copy of a modern Selmer, but I can't help but feel as if the horn seems "bare" somehow. It's something in the look of the mechanism itself. Some things were moved and spaced in a way that makes the sax look bare. It's a small point, by was the first impression I got from the horn.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys, I've got the Couf here, it's a relac, and the bell brace has been moved, it's missing some guards, but plays ok, a little unstable on some notes. The P Mauriat played much easier but was lacking in character. Now there is a Conn 12M selling for cheap in the mix, and I may lean towards that! Don't need the low A, and it will need an overhaul so I know it will be optimum. 1952, not rolled tone holes, pretty dark lacquer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts