Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, silly I know but if you're shopping for a new case do you bring your horn to the store?

Basically my SML alto is travelling around currently in a clean but old and rackety case. The store has Hiscox, Protec, Bam and a few other brands and I don't want a poor fit so I thought I'd schlep my horn down to shop.

Is this necessary? Or should I just order online and save time and money? Are the brands of cases all that different internally (excepting the Protec XL of course)?
Do SML Rev Ds fit all cases?

Thanks!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
Okay, silly I know but if you're shopping for a new case do you bring your horn to the store?
I would. I've had horns that are too big for a case. If they are too small, it's easy to add a bit of padding to stop rattling around, but ideally you want to get the best fit you can for safety. can't answer specifically about the rev D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Yes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
As a rule, I find it helpful to take a sax with me whenever shopping for musical gear. It's the only way to know if what you are buying will work.

Plus, where I'm from there are not many accomplished sax players. So anytime I pull out a sax and start playing, I usually draw a crowd. This is especially true in pawn shops and flea markets. And the big ol' ham inside me just loves that. And yes, I'd probably blow a tune or two in the store even if I was just trying to fit my sax to a new case. I gott'a follow that inner ham, you know. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I guess I'll follow my initial intent and lug the horn. The shoe analogy does indeed nail it.

How do people get along buying cases sight unseen?
Reminds me of a former boss of mine who was buying everything online - groceries, furniture, clothes. He bought a lot of pairs of jeans that he ended up giving away - all to save a few bucks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts