Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around for a bari. Of course the best place to look is local because who wants to ship a bari? I found a Conn 12M freshly overhauled near me with really nice pictures - even pictures of the restoration process which the seller did himself. Looks like good work, but of course hard to tell for sure from the pictures.

The thing is, it's serial N264XXX meaning it's made in Nogales, MX and as far as I can tell it's a very late model - 1988 probably. Maybe one of the last 12Ms ever made! Gold lacquer, nickel keys.

Is this something to be afraid of? The post says tone holes have been leveled and springs, corks, etc. adjusted. New Roo pads with resonators. Is a Mexiconn bad news even if its had some care put into it?

The price is $1600, which strikes me as a bit high. Stephen Howard says £900 ($1150) in "fair condition". So maybe a bit higher than that. Can I do better for the price?

What do y'all think? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,499 Posts
You are a bit off on the year....any N-serialed Conn cannot be later than 1984....but given the high number, you aren't off by too much...the N serials ended at around 275,XXX so indeed, this one may be an early 80's one.

As saxoclese suggests...I think if the overhaul was a home-job, meaning the owner is NOT a professional repair tech....then the price is high. I typically sell 60's, USA-made 12M's, refurbed, for around $1400-1500. And I am a professional.

So....$1200 would be a reasonable offer, methinks.

But f the seller IS a tech, then $1600 as an asking price isn't unreasonable...in which case I'd say offering $1400 wouldn't be unreasonable, either. It would be a respectful offer.

Generally speaking MX horns get a bad rap which is undeserved. The designs were the same as the US ones, it is just that sometimes the fabrication wasn't as precise. But this is correctable on a tech bench and usually those corrections are straighforward.

IMPORTANT in asking about MX-made Conns: 1) confirm with seller that there is no key play. This was a common problem with MX horns (quite easily correctable, and once done things will be good to go....but question is did the seller correct it ? 2) confirm with seller that the keyheights have been set for proper intonation. 3) Was the horn cleaned completely ? (chem bath or sonic bath) ?

It is hard to say whether 'new pads, corks, felts, holes leveled, springs adjusted," etc. means that the seller actually produced a full-on overhaul or not. If they did those things noted above, then it is approaching an overhaul, seemingly.

Actually 12M's were made into the 90's...back in the US under UMI, which kept the design in production for a while...sometimes branded Conn, sometimes branded Armstrong.

·
Registered
Alto, Tenor, Bari.
74 Posts
I'm looking around for a bari. Of course the best place to look is local because who wants to ship a bari? I found a Conn 12M freshly overhauled near me with really nice pictures - even pictures of the restoration process which the seller did himself. Looks like good work, but of course hard to tell for sure from the pictures.

The thing is, it's serial N264XXX meaning it's made in Nogales, MX and as far as I can tell it's a very late model - 1988 probably. Maybe one of the last 12Ms ever made! Gold lacquer, nickel keys.

Is this something to be afraid of? The post says tone holes have been leveled and springs, corks, etc. adjusted. New Roo pads with resonators. Is a Mexiconn bad news even if its had some care put into it?

The price is $1600, which strikes me as a bit high. Stephen Howard says £900 ($1150) in "fair condition". So maybe a bit higher than that. Can I do better for the price?

What do y'all think? Thanks!
Have you considered messaging JayeLID? Last time I talked to him he had a 1950's era Conn I think in your price range and a later 1960's one now that was a few months ago but it would be worth sending him a message and talking to him if you're ok with getting one shipped in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts