Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question:

Do you think Drum Corps (DCI-style) should be an Olympic event?

I think yes, absolutely. It is most certainly athletic and at the highest levels very very athletic. It would be excellent for TV, and incorporates music much like figure skating. Also, there are elite level drum corps in almost every developed country, and I guarentee the Cavaliers would not be winning the Gold medal for the US every four years.

So, what do you guys think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
no.

Yes, if they are only playing in the bleachers as a pep band.

Did I say no? I meant NO.

HUTMO

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Only if they mix certain parts of it with parts of a biathlon.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no.

Yes, if they are only playing in the bleachers as a pep band.

Did I say no? I meant NO.

HUTMO
Care to share why you think that way?

Only if they mix certain parts of it with parts of a biathlon.
I Lol'd. But seriously, if things like Hammerthrow and Power-Walking are real events, I think it would qualify. Also, there is this video:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
No. I don't consider it a sport. Just because something requires some athleticism (debatable), doesn't mean it's a sport. I'd rather see NASCAR in the Olympics than DCI.

I mean, baseball and softball are no longer Olympic sports. BASEBALL!!!! If baseball isn't in the Olympics, then there's no reason for DCI to be.

Besides, less competition in music is a good think IMO.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If the event is how quickly they can perform a certain degree of difficulty piece while moving across a field of land mines with Canadian Women Biathlon Snipers taking aim from 200 yards...then yes.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Nope, but that's a cool video.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
If the event is how quickly they can perform a certain degree of difficulty piece while moving across a field of land mines with Canadian Women Biathlon Snipers taking aim from 200 yards...then yes.
That's what I meant...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
NO. But the video was interesting. Looks like fun. And I bet they get more chicks than stardard band guys...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting responses.

NASCAR is not everywhere in the world though, and is too expensive for amateur athletes to afford.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
The Olympic games were originally competed naked... Naked cymbals players... Ouch!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,589 Posts
No.
If you can't get most High Schools to count Marching Band as a Phys Ed credit you can't expect the OLYMPICS to count it as a 'sport'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts