Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all,

do you think there`s a possibility of using a ca. 1927 high pitch tenor sax in a band rehearsal/playing situation? i mean, is there any a chance to play it in normal 440 hz pitch via altering the neck??

yours
kurosaki ichigo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
it is very hard to do that, near impossible and would do some crazy things intonation wise,

if you can get it cheap it might be a laugh for playing with a 5 piece band with guitar and bass so everything would be in much friendlier keys for you, instead of f# and c# etc. which are useable but not many people are comfortable soloing in them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,705 Posts
kurosak11 said:
do you think there`s a possibility of using a ca. 1927 high pitch tenor sax in a band rehearsal/playing situation?
Yes, if all the other instruments are high pitched as well.
Otherwise, it would be a complete waste of money for what is basically a wallhanger.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
if you can get it cheap it might be a laugh for playing with a 5 piece band with guitar and bass so everything would be in much friendlier keys for you, instead of f# and c# etc. which are useable but not many people are comfortable soloing in them.
I don't understand why you think the keys would be any friendlier - it's high pitch, not C. It would, however, work if guitar and bass tuned slightly higher to match the horn's native pitch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
To expand on what Dr. G is saying, instruments that can tune to any pitch by tightening/loosening strings could match your pitch and it would be OK. But if you added an electronic organ without pitch control or a piano, you would not be able to tune to their pitch. Same thing for adding a trumpet. You might also drive some people with perfect pitch absolutely crazy . . . which might be fun to watch! ;)

·
3,875 Posts
I just don't see the point of playing a high pitch horn if you intend to play with other musicians.

I DO think it would be funny if you had a good band that all played high pitch instruments. You could then invite people to sit in and fall on their face because no mater what they do, they just can't play in tune. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Dr G said:
I don't understand why you think the keys would be any friendlier - it's high pitch, not C. It would, however, work if guitar and bass tuned slightly higher to match the horn's native pitch.
I believe he meant that if one were to use a very long shank mouthpiece, one *should* be able to get a high-pitch tenor to tune (pretty close) to being a "B Natural" tenor instead of a Bb tenor. That is where the key simplifications occur.

·
1,385 Posts
Little Sax said:
I believe he meant that if one were to use a very long shank mouthpiece, one *should* be able to get a high-pitch tenor to tune (pretty close) to being a "B Natural" tenor instead of a Bb tenor. That is where the key simplifications occur.
If that is what he meant he'd be wrong. There's been plenty of discussion of this in the past: you may be able to get it to play at 440Hz for some notes (with a combination of mouthpiece length/position and embouchure), but not over the whole range of the instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Carl H. said:
If you can get them to tune to your pitch, go for it!
Just about every 'rock' guitarist I've ever played with tends to have 'creeping pitch' - always upwards......:( They get quite upset, and complain about 'lifeless sounds', when they have to come back down to 440 !

But "NO" - as Fred so rightly says, someone will come along with a non-infinitely-tuneable instrument (or you'll want to play in a more formal band) and there'll be problems.

Only buy a HP instrument if it's amazingly cheap, and is a really brilliant example (e.g. a 'Portrait') that you could look at all day, and/or you're just happy to play alone, or maybe with one other friend on tuneable keyboards/guitar who understands the limitations. Otherwise it will end in tears. I've got one HP clarinet amongst my collection of strays, so I know....

And there's no easy way to get it to any LP standard, either Bb or B - although there was this theory that a thin conical 'insert', matching the rate of increasing bore size, could be placed inside the complete length of the sax - thus changing the ratio of distance between toneholes to internal size...... (Nah....;))

·
1,390 Posts
I've got an HP tenor for sale in the marketplace here, and I can tell you there's no hope at all of playing it in tune with A440 instruments. It plays pretty well in B, though which is a total trip for the ear. If you want a Bb tenor, get one. If you want a B tenor, buy mine :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Jason - how do you define "pretty well plays in B...." ? The odd bit of lipping required in certain areas ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts