Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I work at a children's museum, and in order to apply my knowledge and talents toward my job, I'd like to give little lessons on music/jazz to the kids - fun little 10-minute-or-less lessons for (non-musical) kids pre-K to 4th grade that can introduce the kids to the music, the instruments, and maybe a couple recordings or a solo demo (I'm the only musical person there, and I only play sax).

Has anyone done something similar? Any books/movies/recordings you can suggest for me to either learn from or use for the class?

Thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
There is a classic version of Peter and the Wolf that has an intro that talks about how each instrument represents a character. Leonard Bernstein?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd really like to do jazz lessons, especially for Black History Month (and since I prefer it over classical), but could I squeeze Peter and the Wolf into 10 minutes? Guess I could do an instrument per lesson.

I've also thought about reading kids books like "Charlie Parker Played Bebop" and "Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and his Orchestra," but at 32 pages, even picture books can be a lot, especially for the younger ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
I frequently do presentations sponsored by the PTA's at elementary schools on jazz and the saxophone. My presentations are usually closer to 30 minutes in length and include several demonstrations of jazz styles - swing, Latin & funk - using etudes and play-along tracks from the Complete Jazz Styles series of books I author. I usually bring along a tenor, soprano, bari, clarinet and flute. I also like to talk a little about the history of jazz...mention Louis Armstrong...play a little of "When the Saints Go Marching In," then conclude with a "name that tune" segment where I'll play bits of tunes like the James Bond Theme, Pink Panther, etc. This is followed by about 5 minutes of Q&A. It's always lot's of fun for me and hopefully the kids too.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
The Shifting Tonal Center
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
For the Peter and the Wolf, I would just do the intro where each instrument/character is introduced. They can find/hear the rest if they want.

Also, my 7 year old loves to watch YouTube videos. She really likes James Brown and Stevie Wonder, but she will watch Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Lena Horne, Billie Holliday, etc. You could find a short one of Louis Armstrong or Cab Calloway.

Randy's approach sounds really good, as live music is really special, and that way you could play. Maybe just condense it down to the play-along part, if your 10-minute limit is firm.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much a firm 10 minutes as it is, the museum is essentially a big indoor playground, and the lesson would be an impromptu "Hey, let's do this" kinda thing. Keeping these kids' attentions for longer than 10 minutes is almost impossible when there's playtime to be had. One of our volunteers did a story time last week, a little longer than she thought it would be, and the kids were chomping at the bit to go back to playing by the halfway point!

So essentially I need to keep it short for the sugar-filled ADHD kids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts