Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my saxophone was knocked off my chair by an anonymous peer in marching band, our band room consists of hard wood floor, so I didn't think much of the damage even though it couldn't play.

When I brought it to my local technician, he said he could fix it, but now the saxophone would need to be taken more often for checkups and realignment, or I must purchase a new saxophone. I find this hard to believe seeing as this guy both sells instruments and fixes them, maybe he's just looking to fix a quick buck. I understand about every 6 months or so a checkup is necessary.

Any advice, could the instrument really be damaged like that from one fall? (It has fallen once before)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
If it is fixed correctly, additional checkups above and beyond what is normally recommended will not mysteriously and suddenly become necessary.

Perhaps your tech just purchased a new boat, or his daughter needs braces.[rolleyes]:TGNCHK::bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
I'm with saxismyaxe on this one, although freehugs also raises a valid point. A properly-repaired horn should not need more frequent service just because it took a fall and was repaired. If there is something he can't really fix, he should let you know that in advance. It is reasonable for it to get a check/adjust a little while after a major service, just to make sure everything is still in adjustment, etc. My tech provides that at no extra charge (although his overhauls are not cheap).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I was just confirming cause I'm not sure if I wanna part with my sax yet. Although Cannonball's are pretty inconsistent, this sax had some amazing tone!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Modern Cannonballs are quite well-built, so the fixtures and fittings should stand up to a bit of abuse.
A damaged and repaired body can be weaker than before - but not so weak that it will distort with normal use...it just means that if it gets dropped again it's more likely to bend more easily at the repaired point.

There shouldn't be any need for any additional checkups (beyond an annual service) once the horn has been repaired.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
When it's fixed, it's fixed.
Perhaps, by the same token, you should pop in every few months to ask if HE is still OK.
Please do not leave your horn on a chair....but you know that now.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I, too, am with Saxismyaxe

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I also agree.
Just a possibility, maybe he is unsure that his dent repair and key straightening is stable etc. (or found this from experience, without actually knowing it) and in that case parts and keys might spring back a little. But then he should offer those extra checks included in the same price you originally pay, not as something wrong with the sax.

I really needed to use the bathroom while we were playing.... NEVER making that mistake again.
Close low C and use the sax...? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts